2266C Vintage Modern review by Marshall

Marshall: 2266C Vintage Modern

Purchased from: Nevada Music

I've been playing electric guitar for 6 years, and I have a BC Rich M7, which is my second guitar. It has the standard BDSM humbuckers, which were surprisingly good quality. As I said before, I play metal, and the pre-amp gain functions on the amp are vbery good for adjusting what type of gain you want. When in band rehearsals, I can flick the Master Volume up to 7 and be easily heard above the drums, rhythm guitar, bass and vocals. Being a 2x12 all-valve amp, it's not really suited to quiet, at-home practising volumes, and when adjusted to this, the sound can become quite tinny. I would suggest (if you haven't already got one) buying a small 15 watt amp for practising at home, e.g a Fender Frontman 15G. There is a lot of variety for the styles that this amp can create. With the two Pre-Amp gain controls, and the Treble, Middle and Bass controls, you can pretty much create whatever sound you want with this amp. Like I said, you can use the volume control on your guitar to finetune your clean or distorted sound. The distortion on this amp is fine for playing Death Metal, which is usually the most distorted of the metal genre, but they could have stuck an EL34 valve in to replace one of the KT66's, just to increase that distortion.

I have been playing guitar for 8 years in total, and I own a BC Rich M7, a Fender Frontman 15G, and a Boss MT-2 MetalZone Distortion pedal. I am soon getting my 3rd guitar, which will be a Jackson WRMG Warrior. I did ask about my doubts to whether the amp is fine for playing metal, the guy said yes, and he was right! I think if it were to be stolen (though I think it'd be quite noticable if you saw someone carrying this down the road) I would just probably buy a head instead of a combo.

It is a very solid amp. I've driven over a speedbump at 30, resulting in the amp falling over, face down. I rushed to the boot, and turned out there wasn't a scracth on it at all. I was quite frankly amazed. The amp has never randomly stopped, or broken down, and I'm sure it wont, as long as you keep the valves serviced.

This is a Marshall amp new to 2007. I play mostly a wide range of metal, along with some other genres like funk and reggae. Judging by the amp being branded "Vintage Modern", and the the fact that it's equipped with 2 KT66 valves (but also 4 ECC83s), I was quite hesitant to whether the gain levels would cope with my style of music. For the 6 months I've had it, all doubts were blown away. It has to pre-amp gains, Body and Detail, body for adjusting your lower-end gain frequencies, and detail for adjusting the high-end ones. It has the usual Treble, Middle, Bass, Master Volume & Reverb controls, but also has a Presence control. It's only a one channel amp, but if you want to Switch between distortion and clean, you can use the dynamic range selector to Switch. If you want a more fine-tuned sound, you can use the volume control on your guitar to select your sound. I use this amp at gigs, and band rehearsals. If you find that there's not enough power for gigs, there's a 4-8ohms selector Switch at the back, so you can fit it to a cabinet if you like.

Demonikk
    MGs are Marshall by name only, there's none of the Marshall quality and tone
    RogerWaters15
    I totally agree with Demonikk .The reason that happens is because of their circuit,they are tranzistor not tubes!!!
    uvq
    acdcrock2000
    well its because there a marshall amp for the people who arn't mega rich. I have the mg halfstack and it rocks some serious ass. Not as much as a vintage modern or a JCM800, but it rocks ass for that kinda money. I would love the vintage modern 2466 half stack, but it costs nearlt double the MG halfstack. Thats alot of money to a 17 year old.
    Bobbito315
    Nightfyre
    Bobbito315 wrote: Demonikk wrote: uvq wrote: i have a fender frontman 15g i like them but, my mg250dfx rocks its balls off... obviously cause marshall is better lol MGs are Marshall by name only, there's none of the Marshall quality and tone Don't be dicking on the man's gear. If he likes it that's all that matters. And I was thinking about saving up for one of these vintage moderns but besides this review I've heard that the gain was lacking. I dunno I just need to find one somewere I guess.
    anybody who says the gain is lacking is an idiot or the biggest gain ***** ever. I've played all three models (100W, 50W, and 50W combo) and they've got more gain than you'll ever need once you switch the dynamic range to high. crank the body and detail knobs, turn it up a bit, and it's got tons of distortion. they clean up better than anything else i've ever heard too - these amps are ridiculously sensitive to how hard you hit the strings and where the volume knob on your guitar is set. i'd probably go for the combo myself just because i can't afford the half stack. this is probably better suited to my needs anyway, i don't really need a half stack.
    rhcpfan118
    of course an MG is going to kick the 15G's ass... it's only 15 watts worth of competition. try playing anything above 15 watts vs the 15G and see if you disagree. sure you may like your MG but everyone knows they're a piece of crap, for the money they're good, and being on a budget myself i use that kind of amp, only it's a Fender FM212R but still... there's better out there. personally i love mesas myself, but i could never afford one.
    .:Darkness:.
    For the money, they're still not good. for the price of any MG you can get a different. BETTER amp, for the same price. As for the VM, i have not tried one. i hear Paul gilbert uses them now but I'm not sure.
    Johnonon
    vintage modern is now one of my favorite amps, and I'm a blues player. When i want something with a more pissed sound, the vintage modern is amazing. One of the best ams without going boutique
    dhunta57
    DIBGuitarist
    dhunta57 wrote: it sounds pretty sick! maybe i should get one but one question: $6.324!!! what the f***!!!!
    Yeah i dont know what happened there. I got it for 675 GBP
    Corbin L-P
    slashfan189
    Corbin L-P wrote: Question for you guys, I have a Fender G-Dec Junior. It came with my first guitar I bought, and I was wondering where i could trade it in for a decent Marshall amp. I am in Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    Sorry you wont get anything decent with that amp for trade-in
    joshpunk
    i'm considering to buy the combo.. do you guys recommend it? .. is it worth the price? .. i'm looking for some smoothe but slightly bright clean tones, along with decent distortion, but still with note-clarity..
    Dreadcoil
    DIBGuitarist
    Dreadcoil wrote: Does this amp work fine with a jackson RR 24 with only one EMG 81 bridge pickup? i am thinking of getting one of theses
    The full set of valves will definitely take advantage of the active pickup on your jackson. you may find it the amount of gain and distortion achievable from the amp doesn't meet your needs, but in my opinion it'd only be a problem if you're in a goregrind band