2466 review by Marshall

Marshall: 2466

I play through a Japanese-made Ibanez with DiMarzio pickups, a Gibson Les Paul Traditional, and an American Standard Strat with Lindy Fralin pickups. Each one works great with this amp, though the Ibanez is my favorite. I play a wide range of music including jazz, blues, rock, classic rock, and metal. The amp covers all of these beautifully and I've never had another person play through the amp and not fall in love. There is only one downside: this is not a particularly loud amp for 100 watts. It's got enough clean headroom for 99% of situations, but if you have a loud drummer and a loud 2nd guitarist, you might struggle to keep up without letting a little distortion in. Tip: it'll make much more volume for cleans in high dynamic range with the gain turned down than it will in low dynamic range with the gain a little higher. If you're playing with some distortion (even just modest classic rock levels), there's more than enough volume to make everyone in your local bar's ears bleed. As for tone, it's a perfect 10, regardless of your style.

I love this amp. If it were stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. It's super Marshall-y when you want it to be, but can cover SO MUCH more if you want (again, see my comments above about pedals). The only downside to it is you're talking about a half stack here. So it takes up a lot of space in your house and is a pain to bring anywhere. If you play in a band, they may hate you for taking up extra stage space. And your back will hate you when you're carrying it out to your car at 1:00 in the morning. This is not a flaw with this particular amp, just the price you pay for having this type of amp. I've been on the lookout for a good little combo amp for years now, but I'm so spoiled by this amp that nothing has ever been good enough.

I think I've had this amp for about 5 years now and the only issue I've had is the power indicator light has burnt out twice (this is a known issue with the bulbs they made early on and the replacements are supposed to be better). It works fine even without a power indicator light. I've replaced the tubes once, but they were still testing as good. I've gigged with it and brought it to/from practice sessions countless times without a problem. Full disclosure: I have a light-duty flight case for it and I try to treat it well, so that could be why it's been trouble-free.

As one of the other reviews stated, there aren't a lot of features here - but the features are all great. It's not a true 2-channel amp, so when you switch between high and low dynamic range, there is a large volume change. There are a few ways you can address this to make it behave more like a traditional 2-channel amp. What I used to do is keep the dynamic range footswitch just below my EQ's footswitch. When I engaged high dynamic range, I was also simultaneously engaging my EQ to cut the volume down a bit - with the net effect of fairly stable volume and a big jump in gain. You can also just leave it on high dynamic range and roll back on the guitar volume. The effects loop is excellent and offers the choice of instrument level or line level. My current pedal board (and the wiring in my house) favors the line level setting, but the ability to run either adds a lot of versatility. I don't use reverb much when I play, but it's there if you want it. The master volume does not work like a regular master volume. I don't know the specifics of how this works, but the effect is similar to an attenuator - your tone does not suffer from backing off the master volume. Pay attention to this. It's a big deal. There are a few pedals I do strongly recommend you pair with this amp. 1. Put a good overdrive pedal in front of it and you will add all kinds of new dimension to what it can do. I usually use a Keeley-modified TS-9 Tube Screamer, but my Fulltone Plimsoul also works well with it. I've tried a Fulltone OCD in front and didn't like it. Make sure the try your OD pedal with both the low dynamic range and high dynamic range settings - there are two completely different animals hiding in there. 2. Put an EQ in the effects loop. This is a vintage-voiced amp, but an EQ will let you get a totally modern sound out of it at the press of a button. I use an MXR 10-band (M-108) (which works much better at instrument level than line level). If you mid-scoop, turn down the input gain on the EQ and turn up the output volume (but not so far that it clips), you get a wicked modern sound out of it. 3. Put a volume pedal in the loop (not in front). Again, it's not a true 2-channel amp, so this will help you adjust for the volume changes. You'll need to get a volume pedal that's made for active pickups for it to work properly in the loop. I use an EB 25k pedal (incidentally, this pedal works better at line level than instrument level). Note that volume pedals suck tone, so try not to roll it back more than 1/4 of the way. 4. ISP Decimator G-String noise suppressor. This amp is dead silent on its own (assuming your guitar has quiet pickups). But once you add an OD pedal and run cables for the EQ in your effects loop, you'll introduce a bit of noise. With the OD and EQ, you can get full-on metal tones out of this amp, but now you're putting that little bit of pedal noise through a ton of gain and you'll need a noise suppressor to clean up the noise when you aren't playing.