6100LM review by Marshall

Marshall: 6100LM

Purchased from: Private person

I am mainly using two guitars with this amp: a Gibson Les Paul Classic and a Custom JEH Superstrat. The JEH has a low output humbucker that allows the amp to get cranked without turning into nasty fuzz or get too skinny. It's not very noisy, allthough I do get some noise when it's cranked to the max on the lead channel, but not as much as I had expected. I run it though a standard Engl 4*12" cabinet, a really good cabinet btw. It has three channels: clean, crunch and lead. The clean sound is very much like a Marshall clean, but more clean. It's very varm sounding, but not 100% clean. Very good for harder rock styles and metal, but it will never compare to a Fender clean. The crunch channel is not so very gained, but it has two buttons that adds a pretty good amount of gain. Perfect for that sweaty, dirty rythm stuff, lot's of fat tone. The Lead channel can have very much gain, way too much for me, but if controlled it sounds damn sweet for fast soloing and shredding. It's also good for lead lines as it cuts through very good. I use it like a boost, so the tone is almost the same as on the crunch channel, but sith a little more gain and a little louder.

It's a really good match for my needs. I compared it to many different amps (incl. Peavey, Vox, Marshall, Fender, Engl, MESA) and I found this to be really good, epecially for the price I got it for. If it was stolen I would probaly find something else, but that's just because I'm courious and want to try something different and I had a pretty hard time finding this because it's discontinued.

I would never use it on a gig without a back up because the lead channel has some issues, it doesn't always work, allthough I got that fixed very easy. It's really a solid piece of amp, but because of the lead channels, disfunction I would prefer to have some kind of back up.

This amp was Marshall's 30th anniversary model. The anniversary model came in two models, the 6100 and the 6100LM (Lead Mod). Mine is the 6100LM so that is what I'll review and not the other one. It was made back in 1995 and is not made anymore. It has three channels that can be controlled from the panel of the amp or from a threeway footswitch. It can also be controlled via midi, witch is very cool, but useless for me because I prefer the footswitch. It's very versatile within the range of rock and metal. It won't do jazz very good, but it's a pretty fine amp for whta I play (heavy metal, thrash, classic rock, hard rock and so on). It's a 100w all-valve amp. It has enough gain for Dimebag kinda stuff, but I rarely use that much gain. It has a lot of usefull features such as low volume compensation, a Switch that makes it use only half of it's power, which is very nice when practising at home.

Seba-G.
    I've bought myself one resently. Maybe when I Have it a bit longer I'll place a review. when I tested the amp I felt my balls shaking like itt should go whit a marshall.
    Jonathan516
    To correct you a little... If I may... ( My good friend is a marshall employee) and he says that it was made in 93'. If you are having a problem with the lead channel take it in to a shop for repair...it is an Easy fix.