AVT100 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT100

Purchased from: GAK

My main guitar is a Pacifica fat strat copy, however I have played my bandmates USA Strat through this amp, and both of them sounded good. Despite Marshalls reputation for distorted sounds, the clean channel is the best on this amp as far as I am concerned, a beautiful sparkling tone. However the overdrive channels are also good, even though I generally use overdrive pedals for my music style. An amazing variety of sounds, with 3 channels and the 16 DFX. I have had feedback from this amp at high volumes, but when I mike it into a PA I no longer have this problem. This amp is loud, loud enough to cut it over a drumkit no matter how much of a tub-thumper you have as your percussionist. This amp is often slated by valve-lovers, but for what I do I prefer this amp over any valve amp- I play rhythm guitar in a rock band in pubs and clubs, and as I drop my tone level to let the lead player do his stuff anyway, lack of a valve amp doesn't bother me- personal preference in any case, despite anything people on this site may try to tell you.

This amp is a good match for my overdriven style, but also sounds good with cleaner tones. If someone stole it, I would pity him- this amp is so heavy that he'd regret pinching it after the first few steps! And I would definitely go and buy another one. My fave feature is the clean channel, but the rest of the amp cuts some serious mustard! An excellent buy to gig with, or to replace your little practice amp.

This amp is rock solid. Part of the reason I chose solid state over valve is that I gig a lot, and I don't want an amp that will break if someone accidently knocks it over, or beer gets spilt into it (it happens!) or have a valve that blows, leaving me out of an amp for the night, plus the expense of replacing it.

The amp has three channels; clean, overdrive one and overdrive two, switchable by a footpedal or from the amp. It has 16 effects on board, which are very adjustable, but some of them aren't as good as I'd like- not a problem, I don't often use anything other than chorus or a bit of reverb when it comes to DFX. It has a headphone jack, the input/output for PA's and extension cabs, pretty standard really. I use this amp in our practice room, or in pubs/clubs where I gig with my band- this amp gets a lot of use. As the name suggests, it is a 100 watt valvestate amplifier.