AVT100 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT100

I mainly use an Epiphone Sheraton with factory-issue Epi humbuckers, for playing a mix of rock 'n' roll and classic English '70s rock sounds (Faces, Mick Ronson). The clean channel is miraculously good, and it's what sold this amp to me. It's sweet, clear, and really sings. Stick the gain up a few notches and you get that fantastic semi-hollow humbucker growl, faithfully reproduced. Switching to overdrive 1, on a medium gain, you can achieve a pretty fair approximation of Mick Ronson's sweet howl. A bit further up on the gain and you're in proto-Sabbath territory. I have to say that, when using OD1, I found that some of the reverb settings produced an unpleasant buzzing undertone. The others are fine and it's a question of picking out the good settings and ignoring the rest. OD2 sounds nasty and I never use it. Really, if Marshall had kicked out the OD2 channel and some of the reverbs, this amp would be much simpler to use and presumably cheaper as well.

I got the AVT100 as a replacement for an aged Fender Twin Reverb which was starting to crackle and hum. Although this is probably heresy in some circles, I have to say that, notwithstanding the faults in my previous amp, I prefer the sounds I get from this Marshall. And then there's the price difference between this and a new Fender Twin. If my AVT were stolen and my budget were static, I'd definitely buy another. It's a tad over-featured, and I guess extreme metal players need to look elsewhere, but for me it does the business, in spades.