AVT100 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT100

Purchased from: Bailey Brothers

The clean channel is actually quite versatile, which I didn't expect from a Marshall amp. If you really turn up the gain on the clean channel, you can get some remarkable blues tones. Overdrive 1 is the setting I use most often. It can go from slightly dirty to thrash (which I never use, but the point is that it can do it). Overdrive 2 sounds smoother and far heavier which makes it well suited for metal and, God forbid, hardcore music. It really holds the distortion well and never sounds too muddy. The main downside to this amp's sound is it's so noisy. Damn, if you are at all close to it, it makes a ton of noise and can be quite irritating. There is also an obnoxious popping noise, but I believe that's just a problem with mine since it didn't have that problem when I purchased it.

As I said, I play classic rock for the most part. It works nicely with that style. I also play a lot of blues, and that is where it isn't quite up to my standards. I would buy Fender or Mesa Boogie to get the best blues sounds. I have been playing three years, and have had this amp for about a year. I run an Epiphone Les Paul through this amp. I chose this originally because of the wonderful classic rock sound the overdrive 1 channel gives, but were I to do it again, I would get something different. I'm a tube purist to be honest, but at the time I hadn't enough money. Save longer and get a better, all-tube amp.

It is reliable for the most part, though I think the aforementioned popping noise came while carrying it to a gig, so having a backup would be favorable.

The features are fine. It has three channels: clean, overdrive 1, and overdrive 2. It is surprisingly versatile, but damn, you really have to mess around with it to get the right tone. I play mostly classic rock, and it fits with those styles well. You could get some true metal tones out of the overdrive 2, though. The amp is half solid state half tube. The effects are fairly cheap sounding, so if you care about that, buy an effects pedal.