AVT100 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT100

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Guitar World

When I couple this with my Gibson Les Paul Classic on the Clean channel it rings out loudly and sweetly. With the EQ tweaked just right a low amount of gain(the gain control on the Clean channel is a godsend) and the Bright Switch on it really sings and stands out even amongst more expensive valve amps. I find the OD channels to be a different beast, where the sound gets muddied up a little and struggles to cut through the mix competing against my bandmate's(oddly, more powerful) Peavey Classic 30. That said there is plenty of gain to be had here, and when I Switch to my bridge pickup there's quite a beefy growl out of this one. I think a pub cover band guitarist would do very nicely with this amp as it has quite a degree of versatility, coupled with a pedal distortion rather than the inbuilt OD it could be a useful Tool. I find that my biggest drama is the lack of power and the way I can't make the OD cut through the mix as much as I'd like. The OD2 channel would be better for the Rock/Funk music I play if it weren't so gainy, even with low gain settings the sound turns to muck pretty quickly; leaving this channel almost unused by me.

I, like any other guitarist have been fighting for tone and practicality for a long time now. This amp has always served me well and was the first(non practice) amp I purchased. I have recently purchased a Hughes And Kettner 40W Statesman and will be retiring this amp, I can't bring myself to sell it so I'm sure it will be a fine backup/practice amp. Whilst it doesn't quite have that tone I am after I really can't fault it's features and build quality (seems like the poms got something right). There are many other amps that I would point a beginner to if they asked for advice but I wouldn't tell someone never to buy this amp, for the price you get it for now it's really not a bad buy.

This amp has been so many places, It's built like a brick s**thouse and weighs about as much as one too. Lack of valve amps in the power stage means this one has never required servicing in the 5 years I've had it. It's never even looked like breaking, I drag it to jams twice a week and gigs once a week so it has had it's battles and come out the winner. On a side note the handle on the top makes me laugh, especially when a friend tries to give me a hand and carry it buy this tiny appendage.

I bought this AVT100 Brand New in 2004 and have been using it for the past 4-5 years. Having owned and played with this amp so long I apologise if I spend to long rambling on about it. Well it features a valve in the pre amp and solid state circuitry in the power stage(a clever sounding idea). Equipped with a Clean channel, two Overdrive channels, built in DFX, an FX loop and a wonderfully robust foot Switch it is really a just add guitarist situation. I use this amp for Rock/Blues/Funk and whatever else I may feel like, so I find myself using equal parts Clean and OD and the separate EQ's come in very handy here. Whilst the DFX don't sound too bad at all I never feel the need to use them and feel much more comfortable using pedals to achieve the sounds I want, this is perhaps a feature that just adds to a list of specs that make an amp sound more appealing. Rated at 100W I find this amp to be a little underpowered, possibly due to the solid state power stage. I have never tried using an extension speaker but I would be interested to see how this would sound with Twin 10" speakers. The high gain OD2 channel could be useful for metal players and boosting solos, I generally just use it for ringing out notes when I need extra sustain.