AVT100 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT100

I play my Epiphone 1989 pro through this. it's a S/S/H superstrat. This is a pretty well rounded truth be told, I'm into a lot of thing's ranging from morbid angel and decapitated to ugly kid joe and Stone Temple Pilots.This amp can cater for both end's.The clean channel is gorgeous, Even has a button to Switch between a 'bright' and 'duller' tone, and isnt phased at high volumes.There are two gain channels, Each has a 'scoop' option to distort the signal further. The first gain channel isnt brutal by any stretch, it's well suited for a nice brit tone, And I wouldn't recommend scooping this channel.The second channel is a bit more brutal, especially when you scoop it.Harmonic's ring out nicely on this channel, And it's nice and bassy, good for metal, it's not as brutal as say a line6 spider, but the tone actually sounds good, unlike that digital bullshit I put up with before in the form of the spider.

Overall I'm very happy.I have been playing for 7 years and I have played my Ibanez and Epiphone through this, Playing a lot of different style's, and believe me it can just about nail them all.I owned a Roland cube, Line 6 spider II and III before this, And this amp blows them away. Seriously. The only faults I have against the amp is the effects can't be used simultaneously and it is very very heavy. (over 25kg) But these pale in comparison to the great features this amp offer's. This is a perfect amp if your just starting gigging and playing in small halls and bar's.

I have only owned this amp for a short time but I do indeed to gig it.it's a perfect size, especially for small bars, clubs and halls.It has a lovely reverb. The amp has never broke down with the previous owner and seems to be built like a brick **** house, can't see any future problems.

This paticular Marshall is from around 2005.I picked it up off my friend 2nd hand. (What a bargain) The amp Has a clean channel, two seperate gain channels, Multiple on-board effects (but can only be played individualy), Headphone jack and a footboard supplied to Switch between channels easily. it's a valvestate, So it's a 'tube' amp. It's 100 watt's, which is enough power, but you can't turn this amp past 3 oclock with the gain past 8, but the nice thing is by rolling back the gain and raising the volume to nearly max, You get the same tone as gain 10 on a low volume setting.. It has multiple onboard effects, most are of lack-lustre quality, they do the job, but what really shined out for me was the delay, Sure beat some pedals I had been using.

Niiko
    Charlie4 wrote: Ok, this my opinion - Vox valvetronix is the same if not better than the avt. Example listen to Silverside Up from Nickelback ( the tone not the songs ). They have a really nice "thick tone". More or less the same price as the avt etc. Check it out.
    Not sure if you know this but the tone isn't actually what you hear because it's been EQ'd and toyed around with. Trust me, the guitar sounds you hear on a recording aren't actually what the amp (or Preamp) sound like most of the time.
    noisewall11
    benoityip
    I own an AVT100, not an AVT100x. To make most out of this amp. We must follow the setting instruction in the menu for the type of music we play. When I first got this amp, it sounds bad because I don't read the menu, and it does not sound right I follow the "Heavy, Modern crunch" in the menu, and play metallica with my Epiphone Les Paul There is one control that will make a difference. It is the Presence, I turn it to 3 o'clock. Reliability is a major concern of this amp due to the poor design of the cooling system. If you find in the internet, the power chip will overheat itself. I never have any problems, but it is a point of worry I play metallican and some gun n roses
    benoityip
    Further follow up According to http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-s... [i] The reason this range sounds better, is because they all have current feedback in the SS power amps - FDD or Frequency Dependent Damping as Marshall call it. On some Marshall amps you can switch it off too, so you can actually sample the difference it makes! This effectively (and exactly) replicates the unique properties of an amplifier equipped with an output transformer (OPTX). Note I did not specify a valve amplifier with an OPTX, because the OPTX affects the sound (tone) of any amp beit valve or SS (tranny) in exactly the same way. However, most valve guitar power amps are 'naturally compromised' by a narrowing power bandwidth as the output power is increased. This happens in the power transfer of the OPTX to the speaker, so cannot be seen with an oscilloscope on the speaker terminals due to varying and complexed voltage/current phase angles at different frequencies inside the speaker. In every day terms, the higher frequency response of a valve amplifier reduces as power increases. A valve amp which can amplify say 18kHz at 1 watt might only be able to reproduce up to 10kHz at full power; or much less depending on the cheapo OPTXs used in guitar amps. But then you probably wouldn't like sound of a high performance OPTX, as the amp could sound close to an 'old fashioned' SS amp! Modern SS amps (in the last ten years - but still some not eploying FDD) with current feedback mimic closely the OPTX effects, except they can comfortably reproduce the high frequencies through the speaker! This is a problem! Because, guitar players don't expect to hear so much treble in the sound. Sadly, many of the SS amps out on the market have not 'yet' tackled this problem. However it is easily remedied by installing a 6dB/octave roll off in the SS power amp from 1.5kHz. Then it will be very hard to tell the two technologies apart when coupled with FDD. Line6 is the only maker to do this that I've seen so far. Modelling cannot replicate the OPTX effects as it's far too complicated and changes when you change the speaker or cabinet dimensions. So they HAVE to employ analogue FDD and HF roll off in the power amp to get the amps sounding 'tubey'. No other way. Sadly, their SS power amps lack muscle (naf $3 TV power amp chips), otherwise they'd have it nailed! I have designed many 100% SS amps using these techniques and they easily compete with the classic valve amps in tone and distortion character.... but with all the SS reliability advantages. NO typical clanky SS top end at all! Sorry chaps, I just LURVE tranny amps... well mine that is!! I don't make them commercially any more... only for me! One thing that is seriously against the AVT series (100 & 150W), is the fact that they use the TDA7293 power amp chip from Thomson. They are 100W mosfet chips rated with a clean sinewave signal passing through them. Fine for TVs and hi-fis where the signals are always clean. The MODE 4 amps employ four to get the 350W output! Stay clear of any of these amps on reliability ground if you're seriously gigging at moderate volumes! As we techies should know very well, guitar signals are rarely sine wave. The square wave signals generated means, at high power output, the waveforms being amplified will result in the average power of the chip far exceeding its 100W RMS sinewave rating. DANGER!!! The mounting 'tab' of the chip which sinks the heat inside the chip to a heatsink to keep it running cool is only about 18mm x 9mm. That's no where near big enough for a guitar amp!! It acts like an hour glass where the heat cannot excape to the heatsink quick enough, and the mosfet die inside just overheats and fries after a while. Marshall, mistakenly, have put a fan there to help out... but the real problem is the mounting tab being too small for the job, as already stated. So, you can bury the chip in an iceburg and IT WILL STILL OVERHEAT. A 100 watt SS power amp with poor heat sinking will be most likely to fail whilst running at around half power. 50% power is when they get the hottest! (You can't tell this from the volume settings thought!) With SS devices, it's important to keep them running cool for a good long life. It's well known by power amp designers that letting the power transistors run hot seriously shortens their life. Looking at auto motive electronics, the voltage regulators in 'some' cheap alternators fitted to cars are allowed to run hot... but only hot enough so they fail just outside the warranty period. The makers of those voltage regulators provide temperature/life derating curves so the designers can 'calculate' their expiry date pretty accurately! It's just the same with SS power trannies. So, invest in a high quality PA with good heatsinking, then you can expect a lifetime of reliable service. Well designed SS amps are NOT that much cheaper than a valve equivalent. The money should go into keeping them running cool. BTW, look how it's just the chip legs supporting the weight of the PCB and the thick heavy wire
    benoityip
    Some updates, I have tried to swap tubes. Electo Harmonix, Mullard reissue, and Tung Sol. The mullard has the less gain. Electro Harmonix and TungSol has the most gain, but Tung Sol is too bassy, so I keep the Electro Harmonix The speaker, I believe, after various research, is the Celestion G12 T100. I open the cab, it have the same shape and magnet size as G12T100, although some other speakers might have the same shape and size. the In celestion web site, it said it is designed for hybrid amplifier. Soundwise, I compare with some G12T100 youtube video, and it sound similar. Heavy bass. This amp also is in a closed back cabinet, the bass is even stronger. Not many affordable tube combo nowadays have closed cabinet and heavy bass speaker, which is another reason why I want to keep this amp I have recently upgraded by Les Paul to use a good pick up, the sound is mind blowing
    benoityip
    btw, when I got this hand second hand in 2007, it is already running a Electro Harmonix 12Ax7, people said the original 12ax7 sounds bad, I don't know about it When I get this amp, the sound is amazing for both OD and clean. No way it sounds like a SS amp
    benoityip
    one complaint is the speaker cannot handle heavy bass, turning the bass to max will give a muddy sound, I turn to 9/10 and it is fine
    Minseito
    Maybe it's got soemthing to do with the amp-guitar combination - I play an RG370 through this amp too and I really don't like the sounds it makes. The distortion on the OD channels is too weak and the harmonics are lost somewhere. Stick to all tube - if you can afford it!
    MaggaraMarine
    Just a bad all round amp, all you people who did a good review on this must be tone deaf because theres no possible way you can get a good sound out of it, the feedback is just so annoying too even at super low volumes its a disgusting amp it really is.
    Or maybe you can't just EQ the amp. I haven't tried this amp but this review is not very kind. And I think nothing deserves 1/10. Nothing is completely crap. Not even cheap starter pack amps or Harley Benton amps that really suck.
    MaggaraMarine
    noisewall11 wrote: the first reviewer is an idiot if you ask me. "the clean tone sucks" then he states he plays all metal. not helpful at all, don't even ****ing mention the clean channel if all you want is annoying ass metal distortion on constantly.
    Well, haven't you listened to any metal songs? They use cleans a lot. Of course the main sound is distortion but there are a lot of clean parts too.
    MaggaraMarine
    Lord Waltaa wrote: bullgarrafuerte wrote: It really sucks,I have one in my house and the distorion is so crappy, you don't undestrand what your playing maybe that's because you can't play the guitar at all...
    ba-dum tsih