AVT150 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT150

Purchased from: Music Shop

I use this amp with the evolution pickups that come with the Ibanez Jem 7V. I only use the humbuckers. I use the neck pickup with the acoustic simulator and clean and I use the bridge pickup with the overdrive 2. I do not like th OD1. This amp suits me very well. The clean settings are perfect. The distortion is good enough for rock music however it is not heavy enough for people Who play metal and thrash. It becomes noisy when the volume is turned up to full so it is not good enough for bigger gigs. As I said, the only problem is that the distortion is not brutal enough.

It is a good amp for people Who want to start jamming in a band. This amp is better than the AVT100 because it has the acoustic simlator which is really really good. It is not good enough for metal or thrash players because the distortion is not brutal enough. I have been laying guitar for 4 years and this is my second amp after a Micro Cube (2 watts only). If it were stolen or lost, I guess I would try out another amp with a more aggresive distortion. It is a greatamp and that is my only regret.

This amp is reliable. It is really strong and extremely heavy. It weighs 30 kilos so it is quite a nuisance to transport. I would gig with this amp without a backup.

This amp is made in England. It has a 1x12 cabinetand it is a valve amp, not a tube amp. It is an extremely versatile amp and it comes with a footswitch. It has 4 different amp settings built into one: acoustic simulator, clean, overdrive 1, overdrive 2. I use this amp with an Ibanez jem. The acoustic simulator is amazing. The tone it produces is really warm. It is perfect for strumming. The clean setting is less warm and more harsh, more appropriate for solos or lead parts than strumming. The overdrive 1 and overdrive 2 are slightly different. The first one has less punch and body than the second one. The first one is very good for blues however, I dont like it very much. OD2 is perfect for heavy rock, the music that I like playing. It is great for riffs as well as the solos. This amp is very loud, good enough for small gigs but after you turn up the volume past three quarters of the maximum, it starts to buzz and hiss alot. It has effects loops, although I prefer to plug pedals directly, i.e. amp, efects, guitar. It does come with a footswitch. The footswitch has 6 swiches on it. 4 are to change the amp settings (acoustic, clean, OD1, OD2). The other 2 turn on and off OD1/2 effects and Ac sim/clean effects. The amp comes with 15 effects: 10 reverbs and 5 effects such as chorus, flange, delay. I really like the delay. The accoustic simulator has 3 controls: simulator, volume and a body switch (it adds depth to the tone). the clean has 6 controls: gain, volume, bass, treble, middle and a bright switch which can make the tone brighter or sharper. OD1 and OD2 each have a separate volume and gain knob as well as a scoop Switch and they share middle, bass and treble controls. The amp has an overall volume and presence control. For the effects, OD1 and OD2 share one set while the simulator and clean share another seperate set. The effects sections has controls that affect depth, speed, mix.

sumatrasavage
    Can't get a sharp, edgy sound for leadguitar out of this amp. High H and ( even more ) E string sound weak. Would an Overdrive or distortion pedal help ? Otherwise I'm happy with the amp; love it's versatility
    scottish nutter
    my amp broke aftre 5 days, i couldnt select any of the channels, worse of all it could take up to 6 weeks to either get it fixed or get a new one, which i find a joke because i payed the money there and then and no one had to wait 6 weeks for payment
    xisco_xisco
    i just bough this amp, and im kinda confused, because i was jamming with my band and it just didn't sound like it was 150W i was playing almost on maximum volume and the drums were playin louder, the other guitarist has a roland cube 60, and with the volume on 1/4 was playin louder than me, i just thing that is something wrong with it :s any hint on what may be?(sorry for my english,im portuguese:p)
    sumatrasavage
    Xisco, the amp has an output of 150 Watt at 4 ohm. - The built-in speaker has 8 ohm, so the amp without as one buys it in the shop delivers just half the power. Maybe You can get the additional AVT 112 box - connected parallel to the bulit-in speker this results in 4 ohm total - then You should have the full power of 150 watts and if Your amp still can't cope with the drums or the roland 60 cube, there must be something wrong. - Without any attached speaker, true, the AVT 150 is not a very loud amp.
    garylad93
    well Xisco, your drummer must be very loud, which is very annoying. try messing around with the gain and volume on OD2, its better for metal. and have the master volume at like 7 or 8 and that should do it, and stand a few metres away to avoid any feedback. if that doesnt work, then their must be something wrong with your amp, or u shud fire ur drummer. its honestly a better amp than the roland cube 60, and dont use any effects apart from wah, as u wont need them on volume that high, it will just cause very very very bad feedback and could probly **** up the electronics in the amp.