AVT150 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT150

Purchased from: GAK

I am using an Ibanez RG2550E with this amp and I have to say it sounds really awesome, with the DiMarzio/Ibz pickups. It suits my style very well, which is mostly varying types of metal eg. Pantera Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Opeth, Lamb Of God, Trivium, all that stuff. I also play some Indie as well. The probem with this amp is, when you turn the volume past about 6 even while standing a good bit away from it, it starts squealing and it is increasingly annoying, becuase you have really good tone, and you have to start playing quickly before your eardrums explode out of feedback but there is a way to set the knobs so that this doesnt't happen but I haven't quite fugured that bit out yet. The amp can acheive preety much any sound and I don't need to use any effects pedals the amp would explode with feedback (or so it sounds like it would). The clean channel is only distorted at high volumes if you turn the gain up really high, it's like OD1, so you have to keep the gain fairly low as long as it doesnt't take away from volume. The distortion isnt really that "brutal" but at high volumes without the squeaking it can be brutal enough.

I play metal and this is a good match but only when the volume is high, when low I just shred anyway with weak distortion but it's still a good sound. I have been playing for three years and I also own an Ibanez RG2550E and a DigiTech Hot Rod Distortion pedal but I don't use it with my AVT, it doesnt't need it. If it were stolen I would buy a Line 6 Spider III, becuase they are good too. I wish it didn't squeak as much when I turn it up, my favourite feature is the built in effects and the acoustic simulator.

This is a very dependable amp and it has been gigged and I never intend to use a backup, it's heavy enough as it is! it has never broken down and it's built like a tank so I don't ever see it breaking down in future! Plus I don't have any other amp so I don't think I would be using a backup anyway!

I don't know what year this amp was made in. This amp suit me quite well for the style of music that I play, but only at band practise cause in my bedroom you have to turn it up to get a good thick distortion and it squeals like hell. I play a lot of stuff like Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Opeth, Trivium, all that sort of stuff. Tis amp can pretty much handle it all but only at high volumes, at low volumes it sounds like one of those MGs. it has 4 channels, Acoustic simulator, Clean, Overdirve 1, and Overdrive 2, and 16 effects.