AVT150 review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 3.5 Poor
Marshall: AVT150

Purchased from: Guitar Teacher

I used a Jackson DK2M Dinky with this amp, with a Zoom G1X pedal. This amp sounds terrible for the heavy styles of music being played through it, the rhythm guitarist for my band uses this amp now. This amp does not cut through. I had the Mids on 10 and then boosted the mids heavily with an eq to hear my guitar okay, if you don't it sounds like a fizzy fizzle fizzing a fizzamfz (just ask my R. guitarist). On the other hand, this amp sounds quite good in my 'The Who' tribute band with an OD instead of distortion. This could be because of a drummer Who does not bash his drums so hard it vibrates all the other drums and creates a load of noise. I never had a problem with this amp making background noise, but this could be due to a minimal number of pedals.

I've been playing for 3 years, and the amp I've replaced this with is a Randall RG50TC. I bought this because my guitar teacher was selling it for 100, and I didn't know better; it's a Marshall! I didn't stop to think why he was selling it. He got a 'Nice Tube Combo' and a year later I'm doing the same. Back when I was still using it, I would have been happy if it was stolen, because I would have to get a better amp! I did not try any other amps when I got this amp. The only other amps I used before this was a Zoom fire-30 and a Squire SP-10.

The handle has broken, and the channel selector has broken. Some of the pots fell off and recently, the input jack broke when the other guitarist was using it. Not the most dependable of amps, but it has never just 'stopped working' apart from the time I had to tighten the input jack.

This amp has 150 watts of solid state, 2 distortion channels, a clean channel and an acoustic simulator channel. (Mine broke and decided to only let me use the second distortion channel though). None of the distortion channels are very useable though, so I used a pedal for distortion. Apparently the tube in the preamp section gives it the tonal qualitys of a tube amp. I noticed no difference between this and a Marshall MG (that might have been because I was using a distortion pedal though, since the preamp does distortion). It has an effects loop which I never used and a headphone jack (which doesn't bypass the amps speakers). I play in a punk/metal band and a 'The Who' tribute band. I used this amp for playing gigs with a loud drummer.

goldie87
    i had this amp for about a 3 years before i upgraded to a much louder tube amp! dont wanna bag the amp but its really just a solid state amp with a shitty little pre amp valve! i changed the valve in mine though sounded kinda better! it really is a awesome amp for the price and versitilty but i got bored of it really quick! now it sits in my room as my practice amp!
    DrOcan
    mike.p1991
    Why is it always people who have been playing guitar for around like a year or 2, the ones writing the reviews? I'm not trying to knock anybody, but to know a truely good amp you have to of gone round the block a few times surely. I own this amp and to be honest I was slightly let down. It was advertised like a damn Behringer amp would be, advertiseing 150 watts but it deeeeeffinatly doesnt deliver it, and also the OD1 and OD2 sound very similar unless the gain on OD1 is turned down.
    mike.p1991
    DrOcan
    mike.p1991 wrote: you have to plug out the amp cord in the back of the amp and plug in the headphones if you want to hear the amp trough the headphones only... Thought i would answer this. No you dont lol. All you have to do is turn the volume down on your amp. The volume control on your guitar controls the volume of the headphones, I don't have a ****in clue how... But it does.
    Dunno, works for me either way, although I don't use headphones with it often. Love the amp btw.
    Unforgiven87
    how do you use the effects? ive been having trouble trying to find out how to use them
    Brannonp
    How do you guys think this compares to it's half-stack version the AVT150H. I need something that sounds the same as the 150H but I don't want to have to carry that heavy ass thing around all the time so I wanted to know if they sound similar. Let me know! Thanks!