AVT150 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT150

Purchased from: Friend

I use the amp with a Washburn WI200 Pro-E. This has EMG 81 and 85 pickups. As with all Marshall amps they work wonders with EMG's and sound great for rock and metal. I do the odd bit of blues and soul as well and this amp (along with my guitar) is alright although I am sure there are better amps for these styles. The overdrive channels are noisy at times, especially the overdrive 2 channel.

I love this amp. It's fantastic for metal and rock and works well with EMG pickups. If the amp broke I would be tempted to buy another, but if I had enough I would buy a Marshall tube amp instead.

I would use this amp without backup and I have never had a problem with it.

The Marshall AVT150 is a fantastic amp. With 4 channels: acoustic simulation, clean, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2, this amp can deliver a variety of sounds. The clean sounds lovely, overdrive 1 has a little distortion: good for AC/DC, overdrive 2 starts from where overdrive 1 left off: it has loads of distortion. The acoustic simulation is good, but can be lacking in volume at times. The amp features two separate effects selections. One controls the effects for the clean and acoustic simulation channels, the other for the two overdrive channels. There is a wide variety of effects to choose from and each can be adjusted for the amount of effect and its decay time. The amp is solid state but has a tube in the preamp. Whether this makes any difference is a matter for debate, but the amp still sounds great, although not comparable to a tube amp. Although this amp can supply a huge 150watts, it is limited to less through its one speaker. In order to use the full 150watts the extension cabinet must be bought. Even though not all the power is being used, this amp has never had a lack of volume for me. A footswitch comes with this amp. It allows you change between the channels and turn the effects on and off. There is an effects loop at the back, although I have never used this because the built in effects are plenty good enough for me.