AVT150H review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT150H

Purchased from: Soundslive.com

I have a Epiphone Les Paul Custom with 3 epi humbuckers. I plug a lot of rock pop/punk power rock and I play guitar in a power trio and it sounds perfect this sort of stuff. The tone is a little tricky to set can be set perfect for anyone and it's very loud, the OD is brilliant it sounds clear and crisp and can be soft OD or roaring OD and everyhting in between. The clean channel does not distort at high volumes as it have a volume and a gain control for the clean channel.

This amp is a perfect match for every style of music it's not too heavy is very loud and doesn't buzz, has great tone, doesnt't make wierd sctraty noises, withstand all say abuse for loads of great band I own a Marshall VS230 and an Orange crush and this is my favourite amp I'm glad I bought it and stand by my choice. If it were stolen I would buy it again definatly by I would try others aswell but after the gig I have fallen in love with it.

I can and have depended it on it. I play my a gig with it yesterday for the first time and the tone was perfect and also it didn't really feedback much. Through the day it was used by a lot of bands as the other guys preferrrd to use mine over the MG series amps and there Fender amps they say it's much better. It was turned on for almost 5 hours straight and it didn't break down or go wrong in any way it was also very moveable the weight balance seems perfect so if you lack muscle buy this amp as it's not a struggle to move. I also dropped the cab and it lived.

This amp was made in 2007 as I can tell from the serial number on the back of the head. It has 4 channels, acoustic simulator with a never use it's a poor show but I don't really care, I didn't buy it for that, Clean channel, this rocks you can have clean clean or push the gain up and have a crunch valve style clean. Overdrive 1, this is the channel I always use it has a very Vintage but also modern sound to it, it has a scoop facility to scoop the midrange which I don't really use. Overdrive 2, this is also barely use this is an extreme heavy metal style overdrive. It has 13 onboard effects which have been used by me quite a bit they make for good interesting song writing. on the back of the head is there is a an FX send and return, a headphone jack and two plug for cabs. the footswitich has 6 buttons, 1 for each channel and 2 fx switichs for clean FX and OD FX. This is amp is loud for any gig I can think of and the tone can be set perfectly for anyone.

house212
    i got the avt150h, thinking about getting a mg412 cab. will it sound good?
    house212
    Guitarmanmatt wrote: wow this puts me down as i ordered the avt150hx and avt412xa today but i love the mg100hdfx though and i dont play huge gigs
    the avt is better than the mg bcuz it has mor knobs to turn
    Scot13
    This was the first "HEAD" I ever bought. I had been playing for a long time and new what I liked in a guitar but didn't have much experience in a head. My buddy had a first generation Valvestate two channel head and I always thought it sounded good. I played this at the store and it sounded good to me at the time. I was pretty happy with it playing in a radio cover band. It definitely has a lot of versitility and the cleans sound great in my opinion. Once I joined another all original Metal band that the Amps faults started to really show. The main heaviest Distortion channel bleeds the notes into each other. You lose a lot of clarity between them. And the difference between open playing and palm muting is no where near as prominate as with a tube amp. We have a very loud Drummer and thats when I learned that 150 Watts Solid State is COMPLETELY different then Tube watt ratings. My supposedly 150 watt head pretty much on full, Both the master and channel volume, Was being spanked by a 50 watt Marshall Tube amp. And like someone else mentioned, its totally true the clean channel is twice as loud as the distortion channels. The problem is the distortion channel also sounds worse when you really push it and try to max out the volume. By the end I was running a distortion pedal through the clean channel just to get a good sound at a high volume level. The amp does have a wide variety of sounds and its nice at decent levels. Good if your in a cover band that plays a lot of different styles. But I play pretty much Metal and that versatility was just a waste for me and the Distortion channel and volume just wasn't cutting it. I just sold it and bought a Mesa boogie Triple rectifier. I'm not going to say Mesa is better then Marshall or anything like that. But I will say if you want Volume and a thicker distortion that doesn't bleed all the notes together. Go with some kind of Tube amp. Like I said my other guitarist was playing a 50 watt Marshall 800 JCM and it SMOKED my 150 Valvestate. It can be good for somethings but I just don't want to see someone thats looking for certain things to make the mistakes I made by buying it.
    markvanbavel
    Is this amp very trebley? (something like that.. you know, does it have a lot of treble) Cause a friend of mine told me it is