AVT150H review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT150H

Purchased from: eBay

If I am practicing in my home, I run straight into the amp, using only reverb on the OD1 channel - it crunches great and as my Washburn EC-29 has active pickups, if I crank the mid-range OD in the guitar, it screams well enough on the bridge pickup straight in. If I use the neck pickup and no OD, I can get the best blues sound I have ever acheived with a Marshall. If I am playing with my band, I use a Boss GT-6, with a three cord plug in (do a search to find out what I'm talking about) and just use the clean channel, getting the variety of sounds I want with the GT-6. I like this Marshall better than the 200w Marshall Major or the '72 Marshall 100w Super Lead that I have owned. This amp is much more versatile and its lighter.

I been playing rock music for 46 years, been with Marshall for 36 years. I changed out the power tube to a Tesla and swapped out two of the factory Celestions with two old black-backed Celestions in the MG4X12 cab I send it through - these changes are essential to get a sound that rivals the old tube stuff, yet is a lot lighter for the lugging and yet again gives you versitality the old stuff will not. I put the new Celestions I swapped out in the old Marshall Master Lead Combo ('75) that had the old black-backed Celestions and sold it for $200, which almost totally paid for this head. The tone on this head is FAR superior to the tone on the old combo. Anyone who says the new technology can't get the old sound just doesn't know how to do it. These amps are so reasonable that if I ever had to replace it I wouldn't even consider getting anything else.

I've had it for 4 years and I've never had a problem with it. It has gone through a housing move and I load it into the back of an SUV and take it down the road a few times. I do not have a backup guitar amp anymore. I would just run my GT-6 straight into the board to finish a gig if this amp broke down.

Mine was made in 2000. See other writeups concerning the list of features. I keep the Acoustic Simular (which by default the amp switches to on power up) to zero and use it as a Standbye - I have no need for it and it does not sound very well anyway. This amp is plenty loud and I like a couple of the built-in effects (flanger and reverb). I have a red cabinet with black grill cloth, so I painted the black cloth on the head red to have a reverse effect visually.

SammiCurr
    rv_phoenix
    Megdidar wrote: I bought one of these once upon a time. Had it for a few days before I returned it and bought a peavey valveking. The distortion was just a fizzy, muddy mess that had no definition. There are MANY better SS amps out there that are cheaper and even a small handful of full valve ones all of which sound far far better.
    You're right, however a ValveKing is an all-tube amp, hence it plays in another league than this AVT. As for the valve amps, I can assure you that even the worst of them (a Bugera, for instance) sounds at least 5% better and 50 % louder, at the same wattage, than ANY SS amp. So we aren't speaking of only 'a handful' of valve amps, we are talking about hundreds! As I've said in another post, it's a matter of physics and nobody can overcome its limitations.
    danvwman
    I picked one up on a trade = to about $175 bucks. I think I got the better end of the deal. Running it thru an old (1969)SUNN stagered 4x12 at 4 ohms and it sounds really good. I did have it pushing a oversized ported Fender 2x12 with some Celestion 50watt avt spec speakers that sounded real good and boomy but that was not going to handle the peak watts of this amp. It took a few weeks to get the settings sorted out on all four channels. But now it is set nice and all I really have to do is tweek the preasence when I switch to a different axe. If you know what you are doing you can get this thing to sound how you want it to. I play blues...to...grindcore and this sounds good for all. Has good power, get a 4 ohm cab to get the full 150 watts and you should be fine. It sounds good at low volumes sounds decent at 50%, but the funny thing is after 75%all the way to 100% it seems to sound way better. I had it cranked one day and out of the corner of my eye I saw the head moving on top of the cab....I thought I was tripin ...but no it was really moving. This head has that much power. The effects are basic but if you are any good at playing you dont need much. I have rack effects and a nice midi footswitch set up and since I got this amp I have hardly used that stuff. Overall I like it. I really want a Major for the power.....but this has 4 channels and at a gig all you really need is this (avt)cause your miked thru the pa.
    rv_phoenix
    SammiCurr wrote: Everyone complaining about the tone of this amp probably couldn't get a good sound from an all tube amp either. Believe it or not, amps just don't set themselves up, you may just be at fault.
    Sharply said. Truth is the AVT is a good SS amp. But getting 9,5s and 10 is surrealistic. How much should we rate an all-tube HiWatt, taking in consideration the fact that this particular Marshall is also quite expensive? I have nothing against SS amp: they're solid and reliable and have good cleans. I have a Vox Pathfinder for practice and it does it job in a edcent manner. I also know it's possible to emulate, using SS components, the way an all-tube is operating. But is costs very much, in fact... more than an all-tube amp. So... what's the reason? Let's face the truth: none (but none0 of the players we know plays on SS amps. They never did and they will never do so, because it just doesn't sound as it should.
    Megdidar