AVT150H review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Marshall: AVT150H

Purchased from: GC

Soo, my main guitar is a ebony finish Les Paul Studio made in 2008 heavily modified and equipped with Alnico 2 pro pickups. I don't use the acoustic channel so often but frankly, it could be better. The clean channel on this amp is quite good. You can get sparkle clean tones with the gain on 12 o' clock or you can crank the gain for some strat blues, quite good channel. Next up, we have the Overdrive One channel. This is a standard crunch channel for some nice Zeppelin or AC/DC solo and rhythm tones, with gain and volume at 12 o'clock. Last channel on the amp is a Overdrive Two channel. Now, this channel is the hi-gain channel. You can get a good Metallica sound by scooping the mids and/or you can get a solid lead tone.

If this amp was stolen I would get definitely something else. Something a bit more responsive, maybe an all tube amp or soo. But this amp suites most of my needs although it's not all tube. I've sold it recently and bought myself a tube amp, the Egnater Tourmaster 4212. But for 450$ it's a good bang for a buck if you want a versatile affordable amp.

I've had this amp for 3 years and I didn't have any problems with it. I've changed the tube every once in a while but that's just a part of a tube or hybrid amp maintenance. I've also played on a fairly large venues and it cuts through the mix. And it's quite loud too.

This amp was made in 2009 (the standard black one). It features 4 channels; acoustic, clean, crunch and lead, 3 channels are tube driven, so the amp actually has a 12AX7 tube in the preamp, although the poweramp is SS. Acoustic channel is not tube driven. 3 band EQ per two channels, 2 switchable scoop buttons on the overdrive channels and 2 switchable bright buttons on the clean and acoustic channels master presence and master volume control with fx level for every channel. I play mostly rock, blues, jazz and pop music and this amp is quite good at that kind of music. It features an fx loop, line out and a headphone jack for midnight musicians. I run it through a 4x12 AVT cabinet equipped with Vintage 30 speakers.

BlueLabel
    AVT100/AVT100X are all made in England. Lower power models like AVT50 are made in China.
    kh707
    I recently bought an AVT 150 head and apparently the owners buddy plugged it into an overloading outlet and turn it on and no power. I was wondering what could it be. The guy told me the transformer wasn't running power through and might be blown. Are there replacement parts for these?
    matt748
    I think the Avt 150h is a great amp for the money. I have one and it does a great job for what I want. I am no professional but I know a good sound when I hear one. These are pretty cheap now in the used market and I don't think you can go wrong with a bullet proof amp and cab like this. If it goes wrong. Pick up another one and use the parts or just use another one. Mine has never given me a problem. So not needed to replace it yet