AVT20 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT20

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Mitros Music Belgrade

It is tricky to get the sound you want if you are a begginer. It took me almost one year to understand what I need to do in order to get the sound I desire. Don't get me wrong, the sound that this little monster makes is really good. Clean sound can be used to play wide range of classics, from some blues and jazz jamming to a simple chords strumming. But the real magic starts when you press the little black 'Cin/OD' button. Oh, the warm and rich overdrive. It is amazingly loud for it's small size. You can play almost every note/chord and it will sound perfect. You can get that original garage rock sound from it. I play mostly bands such as the Doors, the Strokes, Nirvana, NOFX, the Used. So, it can produce almost the same sound as guitarists of these bands, but if you want to play something with harder sound, you better get a pedal. I use Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Boss Distortion DS-1 and this is where the problem beggins. On DS-1 pedal you have three controls: Tone, Level and Distortion. If I crank up distortion to the max, the amp starts to be noisy which is really annoying. Same thing happens if it is close to TV. Other than that, sound is perfect.

This is a great first amp for any guitarist, and it makes an excellent tune-up or recording rig for those that may already have a big, bulky amplifier. And for those Who Live in an apartment, where a larger amp isn't practical, the AVT20 is the ideal compromise. This would also be a very good choice for those of you Who want to use it with a talkbox. Ideal for use in the home studio and dressing room, for Backstage warmups and low-level rehearsals. The quality of it's clean and overdrive modes will redefine your expectations of a low-powered, compact combo. It is a great match if you like the sounds of Nick Valensi, Robby Krieger, Kurt Cobain, and believe it or not, even Slash. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the person who took it from me and put him in a serious pain.

If you want a good amp that is reliable, than this is the right thing for you. I own it for almost 3 years now, it has never broke down, and it works perfectly good as the first day I bought it. Without a single doubt, this amp is worth every single euro I gave for it.

Features in this little amp are really amazing, and it was the first amp I bought. Controls include Gain, Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Reverb. Inputs/ouputs include CD input, DI (speaker emulated direct recording output), headphone output, and extension speaker jack. Weight: 15 kg. Dimensions (mm): 480 x 465 x 270. AC powered. 20 Watt. You get a booklet in a box with an explanation how to make a sound you want. I use it mainly in my room for practice. It could be used for a gig, but I never tried it, and would not recommend it for that purpose.

BlisteringDDj
    I hated my Marshall AVT100. It sucked... a lot. Therefore I sold it, and I love my new Line 6 Spider Valve!
    BenMags
    I have a Marshall AVT150 head and it's amazing. I still don't have the right cab. I have the MG412A so I'm saving up for the 1960Lead
    prt1990
    'It is tricky to get the sound you want if you are a beginner.' - It's not just if you're a beginner; my dad has been playing for more than 30 years and he also complained it took him a year to find a decent sound. It does sound good once you do though, and it's part valve. The amp is quite loud, but he has two of them linked together... Which i guess is quite unique.
    JayLacelle
    dude if you crank distortion to the max on your ds-1 any amp would be noisy as hell. that's not a problem with the amp, you just need a noise-gate.
    busted_hater
    Pageandhammet12 wrote: I love marshall amps period. i would never consider anything else
    LoL you need to learn about amps then, 1000+ marshalls cool nice below are crap! But this says it all! Features in this little amp are really amazing. Controls include Gain, Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Reverb. Inputs/ouputs include CD input, DI, headphone output, and extension speaker jack." No way it has volume! and treble and bass and middle thats amazing! :S OMG!
    prt1990
    OMG WOWZ CHECK OUT THAT GUY GUYZ!11!!! ULTIMATE NOOBZ0R!one!!1 ... I'm pretty sure the 'amazing' features he was referring to were in the second of the two sentences you quoted. Perhaps 'amazing' is hyperbole, but they are pretty good features for an amp of this size and price.
    TitoKK
    This is a great little amp with an awesome tone. It's also real loud for a 20 watt combo, so loud it can be used as a rehearsal amp if properly positioned. The dirty channel is really nice, especially if you have an active pick up, like an EMG 81 or something like that. Other pick ups sound good, but if you want more crunch you'll need a pedal or fx board. The clean channel is nice with the reverb, although my reverb broke down. Aside of the reverb this is a pretty reliable combo. The 10" speaker I believe is a celestion an it can reproduce some amazing lows when using an FX pedal. I liked it so much that I bought an avt-100 combo for a louder rehearsal amp!