AVT20 review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT20

Purchased from: Guitar studio (pershore)

This amp sounds okay stock If you know how to tweak the eq. Don't get me wrong, it's no pile of s**t like the mg series. It's a quality amp. My telecaster has a humbucker and singlecoil. The actual amp Is great, but the stock speaker is a celestion g10-30 avt. ( Chinese made pile of crap) due to the amp being insanely bright, I swapped the stock speaker for an eminence lil buddy, and it's a massive improvement. Suits my style very well. It's a no frills, nice, warm sounding amp, very raunchy, classic Marshall, INSANE amounts of gain, but not for those who like to scoop the mids, I love mids. It's very loud. Takes a good bit of setting up, but you Can get very good sounds out of it. It sounds kinda like a jcm900. The ecc83 in the preamp definitely helps. Clean channel stays clean, and the distorted channel responds very well to rolling down the volume control, you can get a lovely clean sound without too much loss of volume, then crank the volume on the tele and get searing gain, very "in your face"

I would definitely get another, they don't make these anymore, so pick one up while you can, 165 for an amp of this quality is insane, they're made in the uk too. The guitar studio in pershore is great, highly recommended. I love the tone, I hate how heavy it is. I compared it to the Fender vibro and super Champ (5 and 15 watts) all tube modelling amps, but despite it's lack of different sounds, I chose this, it was better made, sounded better, had more power, and was cheaper. These amps are great, just change the speaker, chinese celestions suck.

Marshalls are built like tanks. Particle board construction, but very tough. Weighs a f*****g ton.

Hybrid tube/ solid state amplifier. Typical volume/ tone controls. Don't know what year it was made, I think 2008-2010. This is the tribute model, not the vs2000. (vintage plexi style grill cloth, small plaque in left hand corner. Very versatile, I play anything from joe bonamassa to slipknot, and I write a lot myself. Clean channel is too quiet, so I use the distorted channel, and it cleans up very well with the volume control on my guitar. My guitar started life as a 2006/2007 midnight wine Fender standard telecaster. It looks like an old relic now, swapped out the neck pickup for an IronGear Hot Slag ( www. Irongear.co.uk), rewired it, so the volume is where the tone is, and a killswitch in place of the volume, mint green pickguard, apart from that it's stock. I'm 15 and have been playing for 5 years, I use it in my room, and at band practises. Average rating due to lack of footswitch and limited controls.