AVT20 Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 03/12/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Marshall: AVT20
Features in this little amp are really amazing. Controls include Gain, Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Reverb. Inputs/ouputs include CD input, DI, headphone output, and extension speaker jack.
 8.1
 8.3
 7.8
 14,418
reviews (3) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
AVT20 Reviewed by: offspring_freak, on march 12, 2009

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Mitros Music Belgrade

Features: Features in this little amp are really amazing, and it was the first amp I bought. Controls include Gain, Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, and Reverb. Inputs/ouputs include CD input, DI (speaker emulated direct recording output), headphone output, and extension speaker jack. Weight: 15 kg. Dimensions (mm): 480 x 465 x 270. AC powered. 20 Watt. You get a booklet in a box with an explanation how to make a sound you want. I use it mainly in my room for practice. It could be used for a gig, but I never tried it, and would not recommend it for that purpose. // 8

Sound: It is tricky to get the sound you want if you are a begginer. It took me almost one year to understand what I need to do in order to get the sound I desire. Don't get me wrong, the sound that this little monster makes is really good. Clean sound can be used to play wide range of classics, from some blues and jazz jamming to a simple chords strumming. But the real magic starts when you press the little black 'Cin/OD' button. Oh, the warm and rich overdrive. It is amazingly loud for it's small size. You can play almost every note/chord and it will sound perfect. You can get that original garage rock sound from it. I play mostly bands such as the Doors, the Strokes, Nirvana, NOFX, the Used. So, it can produce almost the same sound as guitarists of these bands, but if you want to play something with harder sound, you better get a pedal. I use Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Boss Distortion DS-1 and this is where the problem beggins. On DS-1 pedal you have three controls: Tone, Level and Distortion. If I crank up distortion to the max, the amp starts to be noisy which is really annoying. Same thing happens if it is close to TV. Other than that, sound is perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If you want a good amp that is reliable, than this is the right thing for you. I own it for almost 3 years now, it has never broke down, and it works perfectly good as the first day I bought it. Without a single doubt, this amp is worth every single euro I gave for it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great first amp for any guitarist, and it makes an excellent tune-up or recording rig for those that may already have a big, bulky amplifier. And for those Who Live in an apartment, where a larger amp isn't practical, the AVT20 is the ideal compromise. This would also be a very good choice for those of you Who want to use it with a talkbox. Ideal for use in the home studio and dressing room, for Backstage warmups and low-level rehearsals. The quality of it's clean and overdrive modes will redefine your expectations of a low-powered, compact combo. It is a great match if you like the sounds of Nick Valensi, Robby Krieger, Kurt Cobain, and believe it or not, even Slash. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the person who took it from me and put him in a serious pain. // 9

AVT20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar studio (pershore)

Features: Hybrid tube/ solid state amplifier. Typical volume/ tone controls. Don't know what year it was made, I think 2008-2010. This is the tribute model, not the vs2000. (vintage plexi style grill cloth, small plaque in left hand corner. Very versatile, I play anything from joe bonamassa to slipknot, and I write a lot myself. Clean channel is too quiet, so I use the distorted channel, and it cleans up very well with the volume control on my guitar. My guitar started life as a 2006/2007 midnight wine Fender standard telecaster. It looks like an old relic now, swapped out the neck pickup for an IronGear Hot Slag ( www. Irongear.co.uk), rewired it, so the volume is where the tone is, and a killswitch in place of the volume, mint green pickguard, apart from that it's stock. I'm 15 and have been playing for 5 years, I use it in my room, and at band practises. Average rating due to lack of footswitch and limited controls. // 5

Sound: This amp sounds okay stock If you know how to tweak the eq. Don't get me wrong, it's no pile of s**t like the mg series. It's a quality amp. My telecaster has a humbucker and singlecoil. The actual amp Is great, but the stock speaker is a celestion g10-30 avt. ( Chinese made pile of crap) due to the amp being insanely bright, I swapped the stock speaker for an eminence lil buddy, and it's a massive improvement. Suits my style very well. It's a no frills, nice, warm sounding amp, very raunchy, classic Marshall, INSANE amounts of gain, but not for those who like to scoop the mids, I love mids. It's very loud. Takes a good bit of setting up, but you Can get very good sounds out of it. It sounds kinda like a jcm900. The ecc83 in the preamp definitely helps. Clean channel stays clean, and the distorted channel responds very well to rolling down the volume control, you can get a lovely clean sound without too much loss of volume, then crank the volume on the tele and get searing gain, very "in your face" // 9

Reliability & Durability: Marshalls are built like tanks. Particle board construction, but very tough. Weighs a f*****g ton. // 10

Overall Impression: I would definitely get another, they don't make these anymore, so pick one up while you can, 165 for an amp of this quality is insane, they're made in the uk too. The guitar studio in pershore is great, highly recommended. I love the tone, I hate how heavy it is. I compared it to the Fender vibro and super Champ (5 and 15 watts) all tube modelling amps, but despite it's lack of different sounds, I chose this, it was better made, sounded better, had more power, and was cheaper. These amps are great, just change the speaker, chinese celestions suck. // 9

AVT20 Reviewed by: cemges, on march 12, 2012

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: I am not sure the year. It is actually enough versatile for all the stuff, but well, you gotta use volume above 5 to get high quality. I play everyhing, blues, jazz, rock, metal, funk, and stuff like that. I personally don't love that transitor clean channel, but the reverb makes it sound perfect. 10' celestion speaker is nice, yet loses some bass. It has a single channel, making it hard to control the volume. I use it at home mostly, to practice. I don't need to carry my own amp cause there are already bigger amps on the scenes and studios I go. I'd like another volume at least for drive. // 8

Sound: I am using HSH guitars, it responds nicely to different pickups. It suits every style, but just needs more volume to get enough brutal tones for metal. But well, when you use gain at 10, you can get enough distorted. It is noisy on distortion on higher volume then 7 generally. It just can fit everything by the way. Clean channel isn't distorted on clean channels. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, I did gig with it some, never backup, and enough for me. // 7

Overall Impression: It is very nice yet an overdrive pedal would be nice for heavier tones only. It fits everything easily. I am using it for like what, 7 years. I did use it with DigiTech RP255 at beginning, but then understood that I didn't need a processor. If it were stolen, I'd definitely get other amp though, a little but full tube one. I hate single channel, why the hell there isn't another volume for drive? Well but I am in love with reverb. // 7

Comments