AVT50H review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT50H

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

I mainly use this amp with one guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Studio with stock pickups, though I do sometimes use an American made Fender Strat through it too. The amp's dirty tone is very good. It has lots of low end and high end. The actual gain is pretty tight as earlier mentioned and there's certainly enough for me, though if you were playing really hardcore music or something, it wouldn't be that great. Go with a Peavey 5150 or something. For the price of this amp though, it's more than worth it. The clean is nothing wonderful, but is still pretty good and it suits me. Furthermore, the clean channel has its on individual gain control, meaning you can get a bluesy tone from the clean channel. However, the amp pretty much suits me overall. Very good.

I'm really impressed with this head. I've waited a while before I actually did a review just so I can get a feel of the amp and I have to say it was definetly worth the money. For my style of music it's pretty good, to be honest, it's no Dual Rectifier, but it's certainly a good head. If it were lost or stolen I would love to get another one seeing as it's cheap, though I'd love to have enough to get a Mesa or a higher end Marshall head. The onle thing I wish it did have though is a boost for the distorted channel. The amp is amazing overall.

I've had the amp for a few months now and have gigged with it three times and it's fine, run perfectly. I even dropped it the moment it got delivered to my house. I could gig with this without a backup and as things go, I'm having to as I'm too poor to afford another amp. My other amp is only a Marshall MG30DFX, which isn't big enough to gig with and is completely unreliable, which MG's are famed for anyway.

The amp was made in the last 2 years or so, from what I can gather. That aside, I'm using the amp for metal/post-hardcore styles of music. Features wise, it has two channels (clean & dirty) that can be switched between, a CD input, headphones out. On the back panel is has an effects loop and an emulated DI out. The amp is half valve, half solid state (valve pre-amp, solid state amp). I use this amp for everything, and I have it running though an Ashdown Fallen Angel 4x2 slanted cab. I use it for bedroom practice, band practice, gigging and recording, and it suits all these conditions well. The tone is tight at low volumes, and as your start to crank the volume, the tone only gets tighter. It's very loud. Sounds louder than your average 50W head.

pjrocks54
    I just bought an AVT50H and am very satisfied.The clean channel is very nice and the OD channel really rocks. A lot of people say that it sometimes doesn't really suit certain styles of rock. I've been playing for 40 years and in the 70's had a Marshall MKII 50 watt head. It was awesome and developed("My Sound) with this amp. I can duplicate (My Sound) quite well with the AVT50. I am very satisfied with the sound and price of the AVT50H. Those that say you can't get a good sound with the AVT 50 must be usinf a cheap guitar with crappy pickups.Iused to have an MG100HDFX (A real POS) but I was able to some killer toneout of it tobad it kept cutting out at practice and at gigs.