AVT50H review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT50H

Purchased from: Private

I use a Strat (S/S/S) and a Tele (S/S) but I have access to a range of guitars which all sound different through this amp. My Strat is the mainstay for playing rock and it sounds great through the AVT. It is acceptably quiet set to Clean, but can hum a little. On Overdrive there is a noticable "buzz", but that reflects my settings. High gain, driven hard. It is versatile across both channels. The clean can be broken up at higher volumes which can be good and bad. The Overdrive rips at any volume, but is best cranked up a few notches. I can tweak the OD endlessly for a variety of tones.

This amp is versatile enough for me. I had a 35watt Fender as my first "home" amp for the last 15 years. This is much more fun to plug into. I still use them both though. I would probably update to a all valve amp if this was lost/stolen. Probably a Hiwatt or similar. I do love this amp. It's loud, stong and can be driven hard (I have a several OD and distortion pedals.) My Big-Muff sounds particularly good through the AVT. I tried many amps over the years, but this was a great deal for a powerful amp. So I couldn't pass up the chance to own a half-stack. Would you?

As the second owner, I didn't have much info on its history. About 3 months after I bought it, the volume dropped to nothing and the buzz was deafening. After dropping in a new Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, replacing the original Marshall valve, it really ramped it up. Since then, nothing but smooth sailing.

This amp is around 3 years old making it about a 2003 build. It is perfect for the style of music I play. A mix of punk, rock, alt, and heavy tones are easy to pull out of the two channel head with reverb. It runs a 12AX7 valve driven pre-amp followed by a solid state power stage. It has clean and overdrive switchable by an optional footswitch. It also has a CD input, headphone output, FX loop, emulated DI out and two loudspeaker outputs (I run one MG412A slant quad). It is a big step up from my previous amp so its features are quite enough for me. This is my "home" amp. I like to shake walls.

pjrocks54
    To gjmmh123. You bet this amp in loud enough to gig with. I played a street dance on 7/29/06 and my sound tech asked me to turn down and I was only on 3 on the volume knob. I had it miced through the PA and it was redlining on the board.
    syafiq_roslan
    Question,im still in the planning stage of course,but Im saving up my money for a pro level rig,haha,there's still a long way to go of course,but i just need to check,which is better of the two,should i get a Hughes and Kettner Trilogy + Marshall 1960A 4X12 setup or the Marshall AVT50H Stack set up? Obivously the latter is more affordable,but between the two,is the sound quality as good as the other or am I better off saving a little more for the hughes and kettner setup? Some one please help! Thanx =)
    syafiq_roslan
    owh wait,nvm,you know what,scratch everything i said up there,already went to test them for myself
    pjrocks54
    To syafig, what did you decide on. I've been playing guitar for 40 years and due to the shortage of cash I went with the AVT50H with an Marshall MG412A cab. For what I spent I'm very satisfied. This rig ROCKS!!!! I have a vintage Gibson 335S Custom Firebrand guitar.
    Demonikk
    pjrocks54 wrote: To sirwinston89, the difference between the Avt50 and the AVT150 as far as I can see is three times the watts and more control knobs.
    And price of course ^_^
    theboman
    I have this head runnig through a Marshall 1960A and 1960B cab, and the sound is emense!!!! its such a cool head, the cleans reel good. really loud as well, i can get it louder then my mates JCM 2000.