AVT50H review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT50H

Purchased from: ebay

I'm playing through this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard guitar, equipped with the alnico classic humbuckers it comes with, and I think it's safe to say this is one of the best rhythm guitar setups you can get, even for professional bands. The fact you can get this duo for under 1500 dollars new makes it even better. As far as EQ goes, it's the opposite of my old MG combo, I used to scoop the mids out to get the best tone, but the AVT actually sounds best when you turn the mid all the way up. That middle EQ really gives it a bite and a sharpness, and with the gain just under halfway, I mean there's no other way to describe the rhythm guitar sound besides perfect. With these settings I got it to have some real Drive behind it. When you strum a chord, first you hear a really defined, crisp impact, followed by a really jagged resonance, and it just really cuts through the air like you would hear on a professional band's album. Listen to the rhythm guitar on "shower scene" by Brand New and you'll know exactly what I mean. As far as the clean sound, you can get some of the nicest tone for open chords and other non-power chords with the gain turned up, just a tad bit of that sharp bite but not so much that the several notes squish together. The added gain on clean can also provide for a nice thin lead sound that's suitable for some songs, it's almost like a low-gain overdrive. You have more gain with this amp than you would ever need, even if you play metal. I'd rate the sound a 15 out of 10 if I could. When you have an amp that sounds this good for such a great price you have no reason at all to get an all tube amp. The AVT series is so good at emulating the all tube sound that it's lower price makes it the better option.

Again, there are very few better amps for modern music, especially pop-punk/alternative rock. I've been playing and recording guitar for about 4 years, and I did a lot of shopping and research, and wasn't disappointed in the least with this amp's sound. I'd buy this amp again and again if it kept getting stolen, and I don't ever see needing an upgrade. Incredible amp.

I bought it used and the tube still plays like new, no problems whatsoever. The seller didn't report any problems either. I'd feel safe taking it on tour clumped with loads of other gear on a shifty trailer. The transistor output makes it more reliable than all tube amps.

The model I have is the valvestate 2000 series, so not the new AVT50X, but as far as I know they're pretty much the same thing aside from visual differences. I'm pretty sure this model of amp was made in 2002. As far as versatility goes, there aren't too many sounds that you can pull out of this thing, but if you're looking for a powerful, crisp modern rock distortion that sounds like what the professionals use in renowned studios, this is definitely the amp for you. I play pop-punk/alternative rock music, along the lines of bands like Brand New and the Early November and the sound is absolutely perfect, not even a hair off of what I was aiming for when I bought it. As a matter of fact I listed those two bands because I'm almost positive this is the model of amp they used to record the rhythm guitar for most of their music. It's only got two channels but between the comprehensive gain control and the deeply effective EQ that's about all you need unless you're looking to experiment. It also has a reverb knob where you can control the depth of the reverb, which is pretty sweet. I used to use one of Marshall's solid state MG amplifiers, and I kind of miss the delay effect that my MG30DFX had on it, but the sound of the AVT makes the MG sound like nails on a chalkboard so it doesn't even matter. Paired with the AVT412A cabinet, it's very loud, absolutely enough volume for mid-sized venues. The one preamp tube in this amp makes a much bigger difference in the sound than you would think, and the transistor output does a very good job of modeling that of an all tube amp in this case.

mikeymoped
    hey im happy with this amp but im selling it for a crate to get a diffrent tone for my style of music. anyone who is intrested can find my add on ebay. its a great amp and you wont have to spend any where near 500 $ like most of the owners on this review have. thanks everyone. if you have a question feel free to email me.
    diggeejr
    rob ryan
    diggeejr wrote: is this amp loud enough for gigs without it being miced and for practices and stuff??
    I personally don't think that it is. I've gigged with it in a few pub and you have to have it on about 9 or 10. Bearing in mind these were small venues that didn't have a big crowd. If you wanted to play bigger places then you'd definitely havemic it up. I just bought an avt150h because i'v found that this amp isn't as loud as I'd like it to be However, if you're in a 3 piece and you're the only guitarist then yeah I guess it should be loud enough. But if your competeing with another guitarist and if your a lead guitarist like myself you want to be heard and you don;t want to have a horrible muddy sound. Therefore I wouldn't recommend it if you were serious about gigging. For practices its fine though
    Dysern
    actually i have used the avt50h for a couple of years now playing my epi les paul classic. in that time i was the only guitarist in a three piece.we now have two guitarist's ( the other has a hughes & kettner) and i still stand out quite well as the lead. and this is in drop - c tuning!
    WantsLesPaul
    I could get one for 265+foot pedal, Is it a good deal? Is this amp good for punk, rock or metal?
    Dagibson15
    I recently found this amp for 200 dollars at a guitarcenter. It is in great condition! I could not pass that deal and had to buy it. Last night it has arrived to my home and i get to play it today. I have a 2005 Gibson LesPaul studio fitted with a Super distortion in the bridge. I also have a Bc rich nt series wave with a tone zone in the neck and super 2 in the bridge. I can't wait to try these out with this amp! I just have one question. Would the avt50h be considered a Hybrid amp?
    Dagibson15
    This amplifier is great! When cranked up to about 5. The gain and tone just pour out like a true marshall should. With the right pups and the right guitar, you may get the sound you've been looking for. Not a waste of money. I upgraded from a mg series stereo 100 watt combo. And this head just blew it away.
    jessxcr
    I hate this amp. It sucks. The distortion is terrible on it and it only sounds halfway decent if I have a EQ running in the effects loop. I am trying to sell it on Craigslist and nobody wants this piece of junk. I'm buying a JVM410H this weekend.