AVT50X review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT50X

Purchased from: Alto Music

With this amplifier I use a Gibson SG and it sounds glorious on the overdrive channel, classic AC/DC sound. I only use this amplifier in my house so I've never really brought the volume past maybe 3 or 4, even then it's very loud, but I couldn't tell you how it sounds at high volume. The gain on the amp is pretty crunchy and smooth, it not muddy or gritty, just think AC/DC. The reverb or as it's called on this amp depth is pretty nice, it's not cheep sounding. The amp is very simple which is good (clean-gain, volume, bass, treble overdrive-gain, volume, bass, mid, treble, depth) everything you need is there, headphone jack, effects loop, and an auxiliary out.

Overall this is a great amplifier, if you don't plan on using effects pedals. I only wish that I had the footswitch for mine, the Drive channel button is tightly located between the dials. If you're looking for a nice Marshall amp with out spending a fortune on an all tube one, this is it. Just don't make the mistake getting one of those god awful Marshall MG series amps. Those were a joke take to far.

I bought the amp used in 2007, it was in good condition, not sure if it was ever giged with, I have never giged with it. It's never had any problems, occasionally some dust gets stuck in the cooling fan and makes a little noise, but that's nothing. Though for it's size this amp is pretty heavy, it isn't really that big and it weighs nearly 60lbs.

I believe this amp was made in the mid 1990's, it is not the newer AVTx series, it is the original AVT. This is one of those hybrid amps with a tube preamp to give you that warm tube like sound without spending a fortune. And to be honest it does a pretty good job creating a tube like sound. The overdrive channel is defiantly where the amp really stands out. It gives you that classic Marshall crunch which really sounds great. The clean channel is pretty good, it's nothing spectacular but overall it gets the job done. Unlike the AVT 20 the the clean and overdrive are on two separate channels which are foot-switchable. The only thing that I hate about this amplifier is that it is terrible with pedals. But if you aren't using pedals, then you are set.