AVT50X review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT50X

Purchased from: Sound Control

I mostly use my trustworthy tele (stock everything) and these two get along superbly, it's like the amp was made for single coils. The clean channel is satisfyingly warm and deep and stays clear on higher levels of gain. The overdrive is tasty and delivers many joyous tones. However, the top end gain gets really messy, say above 8 or so, but then again sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing. The tube sound is a little too realistic for a hybrid amp, better than any others I know (sorry Line 6) and the volume that this thing can put out is scary. Something that I have noticed though, is that when I plug in a wah pedal and crank up the overdrive, the effect is quite sluggish and slightly disappointing but I guess I'm just expecting a little too much from it because it performs so well in other aspects. All in all though, it is still my favourite amp by far (and that's including a Fender with real tubes).

This amp was a gift to me and my guitar playing, it's a soulmate of rock music. I may only have been playing for three and a half years, but I know that this amp is a gem amongst the lower-to-middle range amps. This thing can't be stolen for the simple fact that it's too heavy (but if it ever was I would certainly buy another one as it's so good and I got it for so cheap (210). I love this amp because it's an underdog, out of all the amps I've ever owned or played, this one logically shouldn't be my favourite, it wasn't even bought with the intention of it being my most frequently used amp, but for some reason, it just is. When I was buying this I tried a large Roland thing, one of the cheap Vox amps and the Marshall MG100DFX, no contest. Anyone Who appreciates tone will realise that there is a large gap between the "MG" series and th AVT series, I don't recommend the MGs at all, I made that mistake in the past.

This amp weighs a tonne, because it is so heavily armoured. When dropped, and trust me it has been dropped a few times, there is no disconcerting noises from inside, no visible damage and certainly no affect on the sound quality. Not only would I gig without backup with this amp, I would gig whilst tapdancing on this amp and in the event that my band are shot at, I would hide behind this amp for cover (I bet it would play even after that). Long story short, this thing is bombproof.

My amp was made in 2006 and is a special edition, apart from being blue in colour, I don't know what sets it apart from a normal AVT50X. I mostly play your standard rock music like the Chili Peppers, Guns N' Roses, Hendrix stuff (basically anything within my ability) and with sufficient fiddling of knobs, it puts out nicely, always. It has no tacky onboard effects apart from some tasteful reverb which is usable on both channels and of surprisingly good quality. If the lack of effects displeases you however, don't fret, there are plenty of places to fit your whole rig on this and more. A minor problem though is the lack of a middle control in the clean channel, I find myself sometimes reaching for it when it isn't there. Also the weight is a pain when moving it about as it is about 20kg. I would give it 10 if it weren't for the lack of middle control in the clean channel and the weight, and I suppose tacky effects come in handy sometimes, but because of the potential of the inputs and the quality of thingas that are there, and because mine is blue.

Chrisiphone
    childofbodom14 wrote: itd b better if it had delay n chorus
    Built in effects ruin an amp too be honest, you cant take it seriously *cough* MG... Just get a multieffects pedal for that use the overdrive isnt exactly 'classic', more modern but you do get your marshall crunch!
    grayzer
    has anyone played the new tribute model gonna buy one n wouldnt mind a few opinions on it cheers