AVT50X review by Marshall

Marshall: AVT50X

Purchased from: -

I play a Standard Mexican Strat with S/S/S picksups through my Marshall. It isn't too noisy when you're not playing (it half-depends on you pickups) and more on the distortion channel (go figure, huh? ). The amp has a very wide variety of sounds from warm, mellow acoustic-like tones to sharp and brighter tones. The clean channel is actually very good considering that it's a Marshall (providing you keep the gain low and the volume at ten). While the distortion is another beastly creation from Marshall.

I've been playing guitar since I was eight and this is by far the best amp that I've played that was mine or a friend's (I'm not going to compare it to amps I've tried in music stores {to be fair}). I also own a small Vox Pathfinder 15R and a DigiTech GNX3000 (for effects). If it were stolen or lost, I'd get a different amp, but only as a just-because kinda thing. I love how I can easily get back to the tone I want if the knobs get smashed about, but I don't like how I's a bit noisy on channel-changes and such (It might just be mine). My favourite feature is simply the distortion channel, because like almost any Marshall, you can get the exact tone you want (using the distortion channel). Also, as I said earlier in this review, I wish that this amp had more channels, but I can cope with two. That's the overall impression this amp has given me.

Since there's something wrong with my amp's fan (I believe), I have to kick it to get it back in place, and my amp seems to be fine with the abuse (thankfully). It hasn't broken down on me, I haven't had to do anything to it other than kick it every once in a while, but that's fine by me. In the durability section, I haven't had it for long enough for it to take all of my full abuse, but by eyeballing the scrapes and other things on it already, it seems to take them well.

I got this amp (a 2001 model I believe) for Christmas this year. Now, like almost every Marshall amp, the AVT50 really delivers. Also, Marshall didn't riddle it with cheap effects and stuff like that. That makes me (personally) happier because I don't need to worry about them. The amp is very versitile (I play a variety of different kinds of music: Prog, Metal, Blues, Etc.) and definitely gives me the tones I want and need. This amp has two channels, with a footswitch, an FX loop a headphone jack and CD input. The only features I wish it had were more channels, but I'm too cheap to go buy an amp with more. I use this amp at home and generally while jamming and it projects a lot. Mine's closed-back so in front it really gives a punch, and if you put it against a wall, it doesn't matter that it's closed back.