AVT50X review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Marshall: AVT50X

I use this amp with an EC1000 guitar with EMG pickups. With this setup I can get a decent classic rock tone. If I turn the bass above three it gets extremely muddy. This thing really lacks gain for modern metal, but with a distortion pedal it sounds ok. Like most solid state amps as you crank it the sound turns to crap. Either the highs get way to shrilly or the low end to loose. The cleans are ok if I roll the volume knob on my neck pickup but they can get muddy too.

Well this amp doesn't cut it for modern metal. This was the first amp I bought and after a few years I regret it. There are so many better amps in this price range that smoke this. If it were stolen I would not buy it again. I don't really recommend this amp unless you find it cheap.

It is not an extremely high quality amp, but it has been very reliable through the years. If for some reason I used it on a gig I don't think I would need a backup. I've had no problems with it at all. The tube has never been replaced or anything. It's pretty rugged as well. It's put up with being bumped around just fine.

The amp was made in 2006 I believe. I play all types of metal (thrash, death, speed etc) and this does not handle them very well. It has a clean and over drive channel with two separate EQ and gain settings. It has an effects loop, headphone jack, an an option for a foot switch (mine came with one). I use this amp in my bedroom and it has plenty of volume for practicing, but when I bring it in my basement to jam it has some trouble keeping up with drums.

thejazzman
    childofbodom14 wrote: itd b better if it had delay n chorus
    As a blues, rock and jazz player, i find that the best multi effects unit for this is the vox tonelab
    Olliee_
    Im thinking of getting one of these to replace my Spider 3 30Watt, good desision?
    sincinho
    does anyone know how loud is this amp? cause im starting a band and my old amp cant handle the drums volume
    marshallmadman
    yes it is loued enough. what OD/distortion pedal works well with this amp for boosting for solos?