Class 5 review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Marshall: Class 5

I tested it with a Tokai Love Rock with stock pickups and it sounded wonderful. I would recommend this amp mainly for blues -> classic rock players and all points inbetween, with a boost it could probably hit 80's metal (Metallica & such) but I didn't try it. This amp is really just 5W of Marshall roar, I got the chance to crank it up to full volume and was blown away by just how loud it was. It starts to break up at around 4/5 on the volume knob giving you a fair amount of headroom on such a small amp. The cleans on it sounded very nice as well very glassy Marshall cleans.

For playing rock this amp is amazing, the classic Marshall tone really shines through. I compared it to a Blackstar HT-5 and while the Blackstar is good for metal and has more features, I'd still buy the Marshall. I'd be on the way to get the Blackstar and somehow end up in a store handing over the money for the Marshall because of it's amazing tone.

I couldn't really comment as I haven't played it for too long but it seemed very solidly built and there's not much that could go wrong with it. (The 5 is just a random number since I don't know what it should be) but from my experience with Marshalls I would imagine it's a pretty reliable solidly built amp.

Features wise this amp has very little. It's a one trick pony, but it's trick is sounding good. All it has to offer is bass, middle & treble controls, the on/off Switch and an input jack. Simplicity at it's best. The lack of a master volume control is the only thing that would really put me off this amp.

und3ad_s4int
    Zakattak264 wrote: wtf is this, beginner month? do something on a line6 or some good pedals
    I just laughed. Line 6 over Marshall? Sorry, but I can't let such blasphemy go unnoticed.
    Slicer666
    gunmyle wrote: should go for an AVT20, has the same price but with 15 more watts and better features
    Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
    Chrisiphone
    Woop This is really giving me a headache about this amp now! I REALLY want one! but the Blackstar HT-5 is there too! Ahhhh decisions! How would this amp sound at lower volume levels being driven hard by a Maxon OD808?
    Anthony1991
    Likes nice etc, good unbias review, it's just a shame about it's price for just 5W and basically little features.
    Nick184
    Nick184
    Though I should add that the blackstar HT 5 is still an amazing sounding little amp; the fact that it uses some solid state is because you couldn't get such high levels of distortion from just one valve in each section.
    Mazzakazza
    Did you actually play this amp for very long...it doesn't sound like you own it, or would've had time to get to grips with the product...
    jannick
    cool amp. still. im just looking forward for the AC/DC amp that comes with my ac/dc box set. should have it in a week xD hell yeah!!!
    bananahammock
    LOLOL today was my first day working at a guitar store, and i was testing amps with a tokai love rock LP copy
    SeanX3187
    seems like a decent studio/practice amp. i'm not sure how much they cost, but i'm assuming they'd be too expensive, but picking up one used wouldn't be a bad idea. i may consider it.
    fretsonfire74
    Good review. I'm not so sure about the amp, and I probably wouldn't get it, but at least it's score reflected that. It wouldn't be a bad bedroom practice amp.
    TOMMYB22
    Nick184 wrote: OK review but do you actually own this amp? Sounds like you're basing it on a test in a shop. Gunmyle the AVT20 is not an all valve amp like this one; it's hybrid. Similarly the blackstar ht5 is not all valve as it uses half valve half solid state distortion (or something similar, sorry if that's wrong). I'd love this amp, but needs a master volume...
    Nope, the HT-5 is valve. It's a unique design but it's still a valve amp.
    gunmyle