Class 5 review by Marshall

Marshall: Class 5

I play a Jimmie Vaughan Strat straight into the amp. Sometimes I use an elephant stomp box which is a TS9 clone made here in Redondo Beach. The amp purrs at low volumes and can scream when cranked. At higher volumes I have trouble taming the beast so I use the pedal to clean it up.

I play a lot of Classic Rock & Punk. From the Beatles to Crucifix. This amp handles it all. I've only been playing for 4 years but I've had a lot of gear. The reason I gave this amp such high reviews is because I've finally found an amp that I haven't gotten bored of. This amp makes me want to play everyday and if were stolen I'd cry for a bit and I'd start working on getting another one. The new white ones look pretty cool too.

I've had this amp for almost a year and it hasn't let me down. I have no problems with rattling or anything else. Never contacted Marshall either. The amp is pretty solid. I'm not a stupid kid and I take care of the things I love (Like this amp) and it hasn't let me down. Haven't had the tube replaced yet but I'll probably have to pretty soon since I play this thing everyday.

Not sure what year the amp was made. I walked in looking for something to replace my Vox AC4TV which I was bored of. I see this beautiful thing sitting (untouched) on the shelf. I asked to try it and the sound made my heart skip a beat. I told the employee and GC not to let anyone touch the amp. I raced home and got my AC4 and traded it in. They only gave me $40 bucks but I didn't care. Feature wise, the amp is perfect for me but some people just HAVE to reverb or presence etc etc. I get more than enough usable tones from this baby and if you want reverb, drive, delay, or anything else. Get a f*cken pedal.

L2112Lif
    LesPaulGuy1
    SayHello2Heaven
    LesPaulGuy1 wrote: L2112Lif wrote: Nick184 wrote: Dom Hawthorn wrote: You do realise that there's only a slight difference in loudness between a 5 watt amp and a 50 watt amp? 5Watt = 36.9 dB 50Watt = 46.9 dB 500 Watt = 56.9 dB and so on. Reeks of fail. The difference between 36.9dB and 46.9dB is HUGE; by these figures a 50w amp is ten times louder than a 5w amp. That's loud. The figures are wrong anyway, the average conversation runs up about 60 - 70 decibels. Reeks of fail. It is a 10dB increase, not a ten-times or ten-fold increase in sound... Uhh...a 10 dB increase is a ten-fold increase in sound. Decibels are based on a logarithmic scale.
    As an Electrical Engineer, I've gotta laugh. LesPaulGuy1 is absolutely right! Gain in dB is calculated on a logarithmic scale.
    Charlie4
    From what I've read here, this is basically another "Bugera"-type amp. Great sounding amp but unreliable as hell. I'd rather (also) pay for reliability than merely for tone.
    tomlikesfender
    Zakattak264 has obviously never played any real equipment. probably plays ibanez guitars and that line 6 crap.
    Rembull1980
    I have the Marshall Class 5 version 2 (with back grill). I tested it next to Egnater Tweaker, Orange Rocker, Orange Tiny Terror, Orange Thunder, Vox Nighttrain and a Peavey. This amp stands out soundwise as a top-tone. I like the fact that this amp does not have too much bass added to the sound and it's not fuzzy at all. It's fresh. This amps got me in love. Although it has no gain this amp is more than meets the eye. There is nothing you can't fix with a decent pedal. Costwise this amp is not expensive at all. I bought a Radial Tonebone Classic to get me the sweet Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin sounds. I think the low score of this amp is due to the fact the version 1 had alot of rattling problems and was not reliable. A false start. But many amps had that false start. But this new version hits the sweet spot for me. Only thing is, that when you have a cheap guitar, it will sound linke a cheap guitar. Nothing is covered here.. so when you want the sound of your guitar shine through.. this is the amp to do so. So in short: the sound of your guitar is a big factor with this amp. So with a good guitar, good pedal and this amp gives you the real Marshall sound.
    jeTTa02
    I just love playing Fender Strat with Fender 54 custom pickups directly into cranked Class 5. Great for overdriven blues and rock 'n' roll.
    R0B0_Ninja
    I just got this amp today and it's my fist all tube (had a Vox AD30VT). With an Emma ReezaFRATzits in front it sounds very nice indeed. I can easily get a lovely saturated and smooth lead tone.
    plexi123
    plexi123
    plexi123 wrote: jeaf wrote: gunmyle wrote: should go for an AVT20, has the same price but with 15 more watts and better features i think that the class 5 is better but it also depends what kind of amp you want cheers That's like saying you could get a good tube combo that sounds like a marshall, or a bad hybrid that sounds nothing like one.
    depends on what type of amp you want.