Class 5 review by Marshall

Marshall: Class 5

It sounds like what you'd expect from marshall, turn it up and get classic crunch! You can fully crank it and turn the power output down with the OPR knob, this gives you tube saturation at lower volumes a bit like an attenuator. The added fx loop was the icing on the cake for me, I like to use delays atc in the loop and also my decimator g string needs a loop, it works perfectly. It hasn't alot of clean headroom but I don't really play a lot of clean stuff. If I want to clean thins up a bit I just turn my guitars volume knob down a little. On the whole it sounds awesome!

I mainly play hard rock and this hits the nail on the head. I have a modded epi vj which sounds really nice but the Class 5 has better features and sound generally better. I play it through a Marshall 1936v cab which complements it well. If it was lost or stolen I'd get another.

Its as well made as any over marshall! The ply seems a little thinner than the larger sized heads but its still well made with a very nice handle! All the grills are metal and feel pretty sturdy. Its suprisingly light, which isnt a bad thing. I get fed up with lugging heavey equipment about.

I have the Class 5 (5 watt) all valve head (modded by RAT amps). It was made this year (2011). Original features - bass, middle, treble, volume, Modded features: 1. 'OPR' - Output Power Reduction. 2. Variable Boost Footswitch - Switches the Boost Circuit On-or-Off with Variable Boost Control, RED LED Indicator - Metal Construction with 12 Foot Lead. 3. Master Volume Control - Allows Preamp Overdrive -or- Power Amp Overdrive -or- Both. 4. 3x Preamp 'Bias' and 'Gain' Switches. 5. Modified Tone Stack - Allows each Frequency to sweep from 'Zero-to-Max'. 6. Series FX Loop - 'Send' and 'Return'. The 'Send' Socket can also be used as a PREAMP 'Line Out' and the 'Return' Socket can be used for Direct Access to the Valve Power Amp (For External Preamps -or- Multi-Effects Processors). 7. Dedicated 'Line Out' Socket - Speaker Emulated (Open Back Cab) taken from the Output Transformer - Active in both 'Speaker' and ' Headphone' Mode. As you can see its got some extra goodies! I wouldnt say its overly versitile, but I dont want or need a versitile amp. I mainly use this for band practice and small gigs, it has plenty of power to be heard over drums and a bass.

MaggaraMarine
    Would this amp work for bedroom playing? How loud is it and on what volume level does it start distorting (I mean that you can play some rock like AC/DC)?