Class 5 review by Marshall

Marshall: Class 5

Purchased from: Eastside Music

I basically play classic rock. I really dig this little tube amp. I'm playing anything from EVH, Rush, Dokken, to Hendrix, and SRV with this little amp. At five watts it is loud. So don't be fooled by the wattage rating even at 1 watt cranked it gets a little loud, but you can't have good tube distortion without some volume, but at one watt its usable in my bedroom studio. Its a 1x10 combo. I was thinking about adding a 1x12 extension cab prolly a celestion greenback. On the eq settings it seems best with the bass turned all the way down, and mid and treble from 12 to max.

Been playin a long time. This is my "little big rig". Price effective, easy to move, etc. This is a keeper. Made in the UK too. That's pretty cool. Effects loop would be good and maybe a gain control to Drive the preamp section. But all in all its simple. And I like that.

No problems, I would gig it, light easy to move and adjust. Just crank it up, put a mic in front of it, and you're good to go. Takes pedals well. Sounds like a Plexi or even a Hot Rodded Plexi. Starts breaking up early (9 oclock). When the volume is maxed its growling. Maybe keep a back up set of tubes if at a gig

2011 model no rattle issues. I believe the first class fives had some kind of rattle issues. Apparently Marshall has corrected the problem. Simple straight forward 5 watt amp, that has a power Switch to cut it to one watt for bedroom practice. Works very well for bedroom applications or small studio. 1 channel. With volume, bass, mid, and treble. That's it. Simple the way I like it

MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Would this amp work for bedroom playing? How loud is it and on what volume level does it start distorting (I mean that you can play some rock like AC/DC)?
    Oh yeah, they have put those power switches in their 2011 models. So that distortion wouldn't be a problem on bedroom levels. I would like to try one at a music store.