Class 5 review by Marshall

Marshall: Class 5

I've played mine mainly through a Gibson SG with Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB pickups (coil split) with the occasional use of a MIM HSS stock Stratocaster. With my Gibson I usually play with the treb. And mid. Controls dimed and the bass at about 9 o'clock... With my experience Strats need a lot of tweaking to find the perfect tone but its doable (When it comes down to it I'm just not a Strat guy). The volume control is where things get interesting at 10 o'clock the tubes start to get overdriven and an easy touch sensitive distortion a la "Baby I'm Gonna Leave You" is achieved... At about 2 o'clock on the dial the amp has reached its full volume (in my experience easily heard over a mindful drummer) and the rest of the way is just layering on the wonderful Led Zeppelinesque vibe. I occasionally throw on a London Fuzz pedal to the mix when I do play my Strat and get great Jimi Hendrix sounds but definitely more on the dirty side and if I change to my SG it gets all Black Keys up in there... This amp doesn't (in my 6 months long experience with it) do clean very well which may be a drawback for some but if you want great late 60's/70's overdriven tone this may be for you.

For those looking for CLASSIC ROCK in a small package, maybe for those who need a small practice amp or even a recording amp, I'd say go for it! I play lots of classic rock and this thing does it for me. It is kinda heavy and its lack of a good clean tone is a little saddening but maybe with some more tweaking I'll get one. I chose this amp for the Led Zeppelin sound I've been craving and in a manageable size and I got exactly what I payed for. I recommend it!

6 months and going strong... Don't leave it out in the cold and expect anything nice to come out of it though. This amp is built fairly solid and thus far I've nothing to complain about except for maybe its weight... For 5 watts this thing is heavy (you can do it one handed but I live up three and a half flights of stairs so I complain).

This 5 watt all tube amp was made in the UK and is a classic rock demon! It doesn't get a whole lot simpler than the good ol' treb, bass, and mid controls with a single volume knob. Its the definition of "no frills" and if you're wanting some bells and whistles look somewhere else, but if your looking for straight up Marshall tone in miniature then go no further!