Class 5 review by Marshall

Marshall: Class 5

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I'm now playing with a Mexi Fender Jaguar and a Gibson SG with burst buckers, a Boss DS-2, a Boss OS-1, a DigiTech whammy, a Ibanez Wah, and a unknown brand sound filter. The sound of this amp is perfect because it really nails the classic rock sound (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, etc) and also can do other genres but it would need pedals.

This is the best amp I've ever owned (Fender Blues Junior, Fender Champion 500, Line 6 Spider IV) because it naturally nails the tone of the best classic rock bands and can nail a million other tones with some pedals. If this amp was stolen I'd probably buy the white version of it (only for the looks). I love almost everything about this amp and for me the only downgrade is the tube changing issue but apart from it this amp is perfect.

This is Class 5 weakness because tubes can blow anytime and changing them is a pain in the ass because you need to unscrew the back and remove the chassis to change the tubes and that could be headache in a gig. Overall this amp has been very reliable and had never caused me any problem (apart from tube changing) but I can't opine very much on this because I've only had the amp for 7 months.

This amp was made in 2011, therefore the rattling issue everybody complains about has been solved (I've had the amp for 7 months). I have played for 2 years but I'm very good at it, I mostly play Rock, Hard Rock, Thrash Metal, Classic Rock and a lot of RATM stuff and this amp is doing well with that stuff (with pedals). This is a single channel amp with a 3 band equalizer and a channel volume, a headphone jack and a speaker output which is perfect for gigs. The only feature I find this amp is missing is a master volume because it's just too loud for some situations.

4symbols
    Just brought this Class 5 for under £200 and in new condition so rather chuffed, always wanted a Marshall to go with my Les Paul and strat, been using a Line 6 spider (30w) for a couple of years and to be fair its been a top amp, but to watch this Marshall valves glow inside that gold mesh it gives you that warm feeling inside and thats before you hit a note and the tone of this amp when you turn it up to 10 is top notch. Do need a pedal though with this amp to give you the extra distortion and reverb for rock stuff. This particular amp as the volume reduction from 5 watt to 1 watt so great for bedroom practice, overall excellent amp 10 out of 10 and recommended....
    MaggaraMarine
    Pserex9: I have played for 2 years but I'm very good at it
    Don't ever say that! I have been playing for two and a half or three years (depends on where you start counting, I got my first electric guitar in 2009 summer but had been playing acoustic a bit before that). But I have never considered and will never consider myself as a very good guitarist because there's always a lot to learn. I have got much better as a guitarist in the last six months but I still know that there are many things that I can't do. And there are much better guitarists around (like our band's guitarist "JazzAzz" ).
    daveyoh79
    Very good reviews! I'm looking for an amp to exercise at home. With my band, I play some stoner stuff over a matamp GT1. So what do you think, will this 5 watt combo measure up for home exercise in a not so good soundprooved building? Definitely, I have to interpose some fuzz/drive pedals, right?! Or does anyone recommend an alternative combo version? cheers, dave