Class 5 Head (C5H) review by Marshall

Marshall: Class 5 Head (C5H)

Purchased from: Online Retailer

This is what it all comes down to. This thing makes absolutely no noise unless it is plugged into a speaker cab, which I have found is of great importance. When I first heard of the Class 5 I was incredibly intrigued. I personally own two Plexi amps (both reissues) which are the 1962 Bluesbreaker and the 2061X. I used to own a 1987X but 50 watts was beyond overkill. When I heard that there was something that was 5 watts that I could play at home I was really quite excited. I went in and played the Class 5 combo and was absolutely appalled. This was the Version 1 which came equipped with an awesomely loud rattle' which was found on all of the units. Luckily Marshall did the right thing and issued free repair of the issue to all owners. None the less I had a bad taste in my mouth from day one. In addition it just didn't sound right to me. It was far too heavy of a sound to be a Plexi based model. I think it had to have something to do with the 10 speaker they put in. It just didn't breathe' enough. So fast forward about a year and half and my friend and I hear news that there is a Class 5 Head on the way and it will be available with an extension cab. Woohoo! Details are still trickling down and these are very hard to find. The only retailers I know that carry them are Sweetwater and some random music stores who have posted on Ebay. Anyways I was greatly disappointed when I saw that the extension cab was still loaded with the 10 speaker. Now it is a Celestion special design (modeled after a Greenback) but as it is not a 12 speaker it just doesn't handle the power in my humble opinion. I knew that it would have to run through a different speaker cab. From my findings Marshall Plexi's sound amazingly well with Greenbacks (what the Bluesbreaker is loaded with, what the 1960ax cab that I had with the 1987X was loaded with) and with G12H30's which is somewhat of a combination between a Greenback and Vintage 30. Those two speakers just really seem to deliver an honest representation of tone. The setup for the Class 5 I tried was through a custom Mojo cab loaded with 1 - Celestion G12H30 and 1 Celestion Vintage 30. Those two speakers in an awesome looking 2x12 cab sounded amazing. I thought long and hard on how to describe the sound of this beast and it all kept coming back to one word: amazing. I was, and I am still blown away by the sound of this. While playing, I was simply using a Gibson Les Paul Studio with factory specs plugged straight into the amp. If you have read a review of mine before you know that the dials are set one way12 o'clock. That was the perfect setting of volume/breakup for me on this amp. Marshall did a good job of getting a bunch of different tones with simply a volume roll on the amp. The first 1/3 of the range on the volume is a warm Plexi, the 2/3 is a driven Plexi, and the 3/3 has an identity crisis between being somewhere between Plexi and JCM800. Needless to say, when I was playing, it hovered in the 2/3 volume area. This amp was amazingly responsive to how you attacked the guitar, volume roll on the guitar, pickup switching, tone controls, etc. I was thoroughly impressed. I was able to get some dirty sounding Black Crowes rythym tones, some Mick Taylor lead tones, and some early AC/DC rock riffs all by using pick attack and volume roll on the guitar. The amp responded amazingly well and was able to cover a broad spectrum depending on how you play your instrument. There really isn't too much to say in terms of tone. It nailed what it was going after. Those really gritty cleans, the growl of the old Marshalls, the in your face attack, it was all there. It was great and I encourage you to try it but for the love of Jim Marshall play this thing through 12" speakers!

After absolutely hating the combo version of this amp a little over a year ago I am happy to say how impressed I am with this head unit. If you want to have a Plexi sound and you don't want to buy one of the Marshall's amazingly expensive Plexi's then get this. This amp will satisfy your needs, you will still definitely be able to play it in almost any live setting, and most places you won't even need to mic this. This of course depends on what kind of venues you play but from what I know about most of the venues us Ultimate-Guitarers play this should fit your needs. I do have two main gripes about this amp though. The first is that the speaker cab that is positioned to sell with the head is a 10". It is the same size speaker and same exact speaker as the combo. I personally hated that speaker and I don't understand the logic of selling a 10 in two different forms. If you want the 10 speaker simply buy the combo unit and save yourself some money. You will still have the same circuit Class 5 and 10" speaker that you would have if you buy the Class 5 Head and speaker extension cab. You would still have an extension out or could run the combo on a different cab. This just completely sends my head in a loop. Why would Marshall be so redundant? My second gripe is about the head unit not having a 1 watt switch. The combo does, why doesn't the head unit? Once again it just seems a little odd to leave certain things out. Marshall has come a long way from Version 1 but they still have a little more to go to get it just right. They are incredibly close but not quite there. Overall these two issues do not soil the entire amp for me. In fact I am still amazingly impressed with this thing. I think it is a true Marshall sound for a fraction of the price of one of its big brother Plexi's. If you are a Marshall fan and really like the tones of the 60's and 70's do yourself a favor and plug the Class 5 Head into a 2x12 cab with some nice Celestions in it and tell me what you think.

Brand new amp so this is pretty tough. Looking at it though it seems built very well. It is almost identical in size to my 2061X. Very similar dimensions and seems about just as tough. Nothing looks cheap on it so I foresee good things in terms of reliability. Marshall had some issues with quality on the version 1 combos but they have responded and corrected that problem. If something does arise I would assume they will do the same and fix the issue on these amps. Until anything happens I have to pick any number between 10, seven sounds nice for now.

Specifics are here (as pulled from sweetwater.com): Type: Tube Number of Channels: 1 Power: 5W, Class A Effects: No Reverb: No EQ: Treble, Middle, Bass Amp Modeling: No Number of Models: 0 Number of Tubes: 3 Preamp Tubes: 2 Power Tubes: 1 Inputs: 1 x Instrument Outputs: 2 x TS Footswitch I/O: No Effects Loop: No Height: 7.9" Width: 19.5" Depth: 8.3" Weight: 14.9 lbs. Manufacturer Part Number: C5H Marshall has continued to upgrade the Class 5 since its debut. This model also has a headphone output if you need to keep a happy wife, girlfriend, parents, or H.O.A. Five watts of pure tube can get amazingly loud. Marshall did a great job on the second generation and added a 1 watt switch. The only problem is they didn't put that on the head unit, strictly on the combo. I have no idea why they would not make it a carbon copy of the other unit and not add a great feature for the owners. For that reason alone it gets a 7. Some of you might want to complain that this doesn't have an overdrive channel, model any amps, blah blah blah. This is modeled after a 1962 Bluesbreaker, an amp from back in the day when all those musicians didn't have fancy 6 channel amps. This is classic, it has all the features it needs in its class: bass, middle, treble, volume!

TheTwoSteps
    PapaSchumpf wrote: one trick pony
    So...what your saying is that any amp made before 1985 is a one trick pony. Gotcha. Good thing there were no good amps made during the Blackface era and Plexi era of the 60'a; or even into the vertical input JTMs of the 70's. Shazam, that's why people hate the JCM800 I guess, because it doesn't have 7 cascading gain stages. For that reason, I am going to stick with my Diezel VH4, cause no good music can be made on amps that have one tricks. I personally will take 5 amps that all do one different trick great, instead of having 1 amp model do 5 amps shittily. All hail Satriani and all hail 6 channels.
    Vypor
    TheTwoSteps
    All 5 watt single ended Class A amps are made to be cranked. They will be loud and one trick. But the sound can be rivaled by nothing; thats why they are making a comeback today.
    ticklemeemo
    Slaytan666 wrote: Why can't you delete or edit your own comments? That's a damn good question.
    This site needs a ****ing overhaul.
    guitarman1992
    Nice review, honest too, even though ou really like it you didn't give it straight tens. I hope I can try one next time I make it up to the nearest guitar center.
    RockRolla
    Great review,would buy one if in market for new amp.I agree, should have 12" speakers.
    TheTwoSteps
    I am not familiar with any chorus really, but I do nod the Modulation button on on my MXR Carbon Copy; which does create a chorus of sorts. The C5H does take these pedals well . . . My Analog Delay does self destruct on the longer settings due to the VERY dirty repeats, but this is an effect that I like. All in all, as long as you are micing for cleaner sounds, and adding boost for solos - or cranking and rolling off volume, I think you would be set. Class A is not known for headroom; but that is life.
    TheFUBAR
    TheTwoSteps wrote: Fubar, you are right; this is definitely something foe gear junkies. In regards to pedals, it's medium. At 5 watts, the head is almost a pedal in and itself. Just using the guitars volume one can go from clean to dirty. Because - as had already been stated - the head is a one trick pony, the clean to breakup threshold is pretty slim. With that said tho, any pedal in front of the single ended power section will shine. The amp doesn't want or need things during up the signal, but if you need a boost, then thats fine.
    The pedals I mainly use are Chorus, delay (jamman), and my Reverb I rarely turn on the Dirt pedals I play in a Blues Cover band on weekends
    busted_hater
    VOX Lil Night Train is better. This is still lovely amp and if you need that little bit more volume it is a better choice, but for a more versatile bedroom valve amp the night train is definitely a better choice!
    logicbdj
    I have a 5 watt Satriani (mini colossal) amp by Peavey. This thing is freakin' loud... I keep it around level 2 and with the 'sponge' activated to keep the volume within reason. Of course, I play in my home studio and not on a stage, but it is good for small venues.
    TheTwoSteps
    Cluttering* not during...smart phones are easy for posting to UG without the App.
    thejester
    hey twosteps since you own one can you tell theFUBAR how it takes pedals? i wasnt able to try it out with any. What are your thoughts?
    TheTwoSteps
    Regardless, great review and I can attest, the C5H is fantastic. I picked mine for even cheaper - $330 - to my door, and I couldn't be happier. The Jester pretty much summed it up as good as I could have; looks classic and records classic. Nuff' said.
    thejester
    thanks for the reads and comments so far. Just wanted to make a quick comment. 5 watts without a pregain satge is LOUD LOUD LOUD. as in i could gig with this at any place i play. Im not selling out ampitheathers but doing the medium-large sized venues for a cover band and this would hold its own un-micd.
    Symphonica
    Vypor wrote: Pretty solid review, I am skeptical about the whole only 5 watts thing but I really wanna play one and try it out - I think Blackstar has something similar. The funniest part of this article is when the author says that the head doesn't make any sound unless it has a cab plugged in, who wouldn't know that? lol
    I remember the first time hearing such a big amp is only 5 watts, it scared me, but with the tubes it does get mighty loud. I have a friend who has a 5 watt amp like this, and can't turn it up past 1 without shaking the entire frame of his house. These things have mighty power.
    TheFUBAR
    Seems Perfect For Gear Junkies Like me!!!!! I bet It will take Pedals well too!!