DSL15H Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 04/06/2015 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Marshall: DSL15H
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 7.3
 7.3
 7.2
 24,240
reviews (2) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
DSL15H Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is the new 15/7.5-watt all-valve, 4-ECC83, 2-6V6 amp head with two channels, pentode/triode switching, deep switch, tone shift, and footswitch. Four way shared EQ, (bass, treble, mid, presence). No effects loop or reverb on the head. Front input jack, rear footswitch. // 6

Sound: Pickups: Used a bit of everything single coils, DiMarzio HBs, Seymour HB's, PRS HB's, Gibson 490R/498T And EMGs. The Gibson and PRS HB's are probably my favorite through this amp (may have more to do with the guitars themselves). Cabinet: Amp would benefit greatly through a larger cab. I am using a Marshall AVT112 closed back with a V30. Sounds tight and very loud, but would benefit from another driver. Clean Channel: VERY clean... Need to Dime out the master just to get a semi-plexi tone like a Class 5... No crunch here, you would need a pedal. OD Channel: This is where this amp shines in my opinion... Crushing amount of gain and sustain IMO could cover anything from 80s rock to full metal. Tone Switches: The "Deep" button works really well, particularly at lower volumes. The "Tone Shift" button is some sort of "auto" mid scoop that I am not fond of. Reverb/Effects Loop: Non-existent... We all know this already. I ran a reverb pedal and a DD-7 in front of the amp... Sounds fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Had the amp a week... Can't comment. Build quality appears good. Seems rugged, nice tolex. Switches - knobs are solid. I believe this is one of the first of the Vietnam amps, so I have my fingers crossed. I remember the first batch of C5's had issues, hoperfully not the case hear. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall: I am VERY impressed with this amp and really don't care that is was not assembled in Bletchley or not. Stands toe to toe with my Mesa Mini-Rec on the Drive channel. While it would be nice to have a crunch channel, reverb and a loop. For less than $450...I LOVE IT!!

// 8

DSL15H Reviewed by: Tellem Rick, on april 06, 2015

Features: I got this amp used, So I have no clue what year it is... But the clean section needs a boost, so I decided to get a Joyo AC Tone pedal to run through it. Made a huge difference. Mainly bc the clean would get dirty and the dirty channel was absolutely filthy. Ways too much gain. What was Marshall thinking? No one uses that much f--king gain. Anyways, once you dial in your settings (via booster; tube swap) whatever, it can a ton of amazing tones. I think the hardest part is taming the RED channel. BC it's f--king crazy. I'm thinking about throwing a couple of 12AT7 in the V1 and V4 position to give this Marshall a f--kin chill pill. Anyways... Sounds great for the money but get ready to get your hands dirty. // 8

Sound: Heavyyyy as f--k. I mean this amp get so fucking heavy sometimes I drop it just to let it know that its not the boss of me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Only had it for about a week so I can't say just yet words. The amp sounds really good... Everything else written below this is going to be bullsh-t. Well I just went to pee, turned out I passed out face first on to a curling iron of my sisters. Lol hahahahahahah damn her for not putting that away. But seriously who just passes out randomly from day to day jeeeesh I mean that's super weird, and it makes me uncomfortable from time to time. All four preamp tubes sound really nice... Especially the V1 position, it glows much brighter. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock, and this amp can for sure do that. // 8