G15MS Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 04/07/2004 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

9.5
 2,825
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
G15MS Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on april 07, 2004

Features: This amp was made in '99, '98 I believe. The amp itself doesn't have a whole lot, but it does get the job done if you run a pedal through it. It has 1 channel. There's 2 gain knobs, EQ knobs (treble, contour, and bass), a master volume, and reverb. It's got a headphone jack so you can play silently. This is a really good practice amp. It's 3 and a half feet tall which is pretty damn big for a 15 watt amp. It's a micro stack so it has two 8 inch speakers, it can handle really low and yet high sounds. If you're looking for a practice amp with plenty of looks this is perfect. // 8

Sound: I've used Ibanezes, Fenders, Austins, Ovations, and First Acts through it and the amp makes them all sound great. With the 2 speakers it can handle a bass going through it, for hours and not blowing. It's a lot louder than regular 15 watt amps, but maybe that's just the 2 speakers. It's distortion isn't that intense, it just adds a little flavor. It's good at cutting down on background noise, but after you turn it up to 8 or more it starts to loose it's kick, the sound dulls out. This amps has great volume though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's never broken down, I've never had it quit on me, and it never dulls out (execpt at extreme volume). With it's 2 8's it can take a pretty brutal beating. If it had some more watts I'd deffinitly take it on stage with me. I've played 2 shows with it and it's just a little too quiet, compared to the other members of the band. // 10

Overall Impression: It matches a lot of styles of music, it's not extremely great on acoustic sounds or distortion, but it's exrtemely smooth in clean. With a pedal this amp is magnificent! If it were stolen or lost or anything I would buy a new one, and then chain it to a wall so I didn't loose such a great amp again. The volumes it can get up to for only a 15 watt is great, it's just a pain in the ass to carry around 2 cabs and a head everywhere (maybe I should just get rid of 2 or 3 bands). The only reason I got this amp is because Guitar Center garaunteed me a smaller amp but they ran out of those so I got this at the same price, THANK GOD! If you need a practice amp, go out and buy this one, it's great! // 10

Comments