G30RCD review by Marshall

Marshall: G30RCD

I have been using a Dean Vendetta 1 with this amp and my brother's Affinity Strat which both sound better than by former Fender Frontman 15R did with those guitars. I have only practiced with this amp though it works from blues to hard rock to even heavy metal though it's distortion gets excessive for me though that might be to blame because of my Dean.

I play basically alternative, progressive rock, experimental rock, and metal in general and this amp is suitable to make the sounds needed except for chorus and such which is understandable. I have been playing almost 4 years and this replaced my garbage Fender Frontman 15R which had a preamp meltdown. If I had to replace this amp I would probably upgrade to a Tube amp or something more powerful though maybe another Marshall as long as it would have the crunch this one has. I do really like how effective the spring Reverb is compared to my Frontman's when it worked. I was able to get this at a price of a 15 watt "Beginners" amp and I know I have the best deal for the price and I am pleased with this amp. It would have been nice if there was delay and chorus on this amp though the sound quality is less fake than the MG series so I don't miss those and the G series has the Marshall Crunch which certainly was missed with the Digital series.

I would certainly trust this amp for Gigging although If I were to use the clean channel I would have to hook this amp up to a PA system because the clean doesn't have much volume through the speaker. I can say that this amp is built to last and even though it has been knocked over and such it still looks new, I also bought this new and the user before me supposedly gigged with this at loud volumes and knocked it over and it still looks as good as a new MG30DFX though I prefer this amp's sound.

I bought this amp used as a practice amp and I wanted to get bang for my buck. I like the Clean when it comes to sound quality on this amp though for a 30 watt amp with a 10" speaker it doesn't produce much volume. The amp has the ability to have a line out and in along with headphones so I can silently practice and it is foot switchable. I like the Reverb in general on this amp and have yet to try Effects pedals on it. When it comes to the overdrive channel the volume is more than enough and the Gain is exceedingly heavy, it is so heavy that I only need to turn it up 1/3 to have a good Hard Rock sound and it gets too heavy at higher settings though in all the Amp works for any style I use it for.

digital_smurf
    I've got the park version (exactly the same as the marshall, except it says 'park by marshall' on the grill. I paid $40 for it from a store because the guy said he couldn't sell it. Buy of the year a fantastic little amp. Gives that good rock crunch sound and suprisingly loud. So tip is, even if you see the marshall one, see if yo can get the 'park Marshall' one and save a bundle