G80RCD review by Marshall

Marshall: G80RCD

Purchased from: eBay

I'm a newb at guitar (have been playing for 2 1/2 months at the writing of this review). I use an ESP LTD M-50 with the stock ESP humbuckers. As stated above I play hard rock/grunge covers (Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver, blur, Queens Of The Stone Age, nirvana)but also some pop-punk kinda stuff (Blink 182, Bloodhound Gang) and some nu-metal (Linkin Park). It plays all these styles really well. The amp doesn't suffer badly from any feedback or other humming noise of any sort, and when it is producing an unwanted noise it is usually solved by switching pickups or changing settings on my effects pedal. I can only describe the sounds I have attempted to play, which are stated above, but it does a good job on all the styles I have tried. Given a bit more practice I hope to be able to play more metal based genres, but from what I know of the amp I'm sure it will handle these sort of sounds perfectly well also. The clean channel can be slightly distorted at any volume is you use the crunch button, but if you desire clean tones at a high volume this amp can deliver. An example of this would be the intro section to "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters. The distortion can be pretty brutal if you turn the gain, bass and treble up full, middle at 50% on the boost channel, with OD2 selected. You can then adjust the contour to get pretty heavy distortion. It isn't capable of as much distortion as my effects pedal but it's still pretty good.

This amp definitely suits heavy hard rock genres, and I'd guess it would be useful for softer rock and other genres thanks to its many levels of boost and it's very good clean channel. I've been playing for approx 2 1/2 months and I own an ESP LTD M-50 and a Boss MT-2. It's impossible to lose something that weighs this much, but if it was stolen I would seriously consider getting another Marshall, either the same model or something similar to this. Maybe when I'm a better player I will get a Marshall tube stack, but this amp should last me several years. I love the fact that it's a Marshall and that it's much louder than I need it to be. I don't hate anything about it. My favourite feature is its seeming indestructability. The only way it could be better is if it was a tube amp and if it had a headphone jack.

This amp is fairly bullet proof and you'd have to drop it from a good height and be fairly unlucky in order for it to break. I have had no problems with it since I bought it, and the only problem the previous owner experienced is that the wires connecting the reverb unit to the rest of the amp came loose, and they are pretty easy to disconnect, but they can also be easily pushed back into place and soldering would solve the problem outright. Other than that this amp could take a beating. In addition it has very thick casing which makes it very heavy, but ensures that only superficial damage will occur if you bump it or smack it on something. I would definitely use it at a gig without backup, you are more likely to be killed by a stagelight dropping on you from above than for your Marshall to fail on stage.

The amp was made in 1999. I play hard rock, grunge style music and it seems to suit these styles well. Bands I cover: Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver etc. The amp has two channels. The first is a really warm, full sounding normal (clean) channel which allows the typical gain, treble, middle and bass adjustment knobs, but it also has a "crunch" button, which allows a slightly dirtier tone. The second is the boost (distortion) channel. This channel has the typical gain, treble, middle and bass adjustment knobs, but also has a contour knob and it's own volume knob so you can tailor the type of distortion you want. Also it has a button which switches between two different types of distortion (OD1 or OD2), and does for the boost channel what the "crunch" button does for the clean channel. Channel switching is available via footswitch or a button on the amp. There is also an effects loop but NO headphone jack. Another feature it has is the ability to link to a CD player via a jack on the rear of the amp, so that you can play CDs through it, and play along to them if desired. I would like it to have a headphone jack but I have another smaller practise amp with a headphone jack so it's not a big problem for me. I do not use the effects loop, and do not fully understand it's use, but that's because I will probably never use it. I use the amp at home and the venue where my band practices. It is 80 watts, so more than powerful enough to use at home obviously, and I use it in practice with the rest of my band, mainly with a Boss MT-2 metal zone pedal using the clean channel on the amp, although I occasionally plug directly into the distortion channel. The settings I use in practise are about %50 on my pedal, and about 30-40% on the master volume of the amp, nowhere near full power and still enough to be heard alongside the drums, a bass amp and our lead guitarist's Fender amp. I shudder to think of the potential full power of this amp. It's important to note that this is a transistor amp, not a tube amp.

sottpwn
    Sh*tPump : so if this one gets 10 then JCM800 goes to 11?
    Dean-Junkie
    Nassar1500 wrote: isnt it a 80 watt amp hence the name g80rcd
    No. I have this amp(kinda old too, but its like 150 or 180 watts...thats what it said on the back,i dont remember.)I borrowed this amp from a friend that doesnt play it anymore,along with a old zoom 3030 player,and the amp has the speaker a little screwed up that i always have to tweak the input to make it sound nice....the amp was abused man,but its neat ill tell you that.
    Dean-Junkie
    Look everybody needs to try this amp....I swear what these ppl say is true its a really good amp. I dont know if they are discontinued,tho.
    metal_666_man
    sottpwn wrote: Sh*tPump : so if this one gets 10 then JCM800 goes to 11? Not everyone can afford the JCM800... I think the idea is that it gets a 10 for it's price range/target market. The MG's aren't shit, fair enough you couldnt play Wembly with one, but it's a decent amp for bands starting on a low budget. You people have to realise that not everyone can afford 1000+ tube amps...we all have to start somewhere.
    i agree with you cuz i bought an mg cuz i recently got a band together and needed some power but when i play with my boss distortion it sounds perfectly fine for beginners
    High_o
    generally on teh back of amps they give the peak power. mostly when you are talking about how powerful an amp is, you'll use RMS, which in this case would be about 100 watts. and come on, straight 10's? it souldn;t be compared to the price IMO, because that means that we get every ****in review being 10 or 9 average because 1. people review their gear too soon after buying it to see any flaws 2. they are too inexperienced to have an ear for tone 3. they dont want to say bad things about the gear they paid money for
    bradwhiteuk
    Thank you to sttpwn, Dean-Junkie and metal_666_man. I agree with the rest of you that it's not going to be the greatest amp ever made (which is indicated by the fact that I got mine second-hand for 87), and I admit that i'm inexperienced, a newb, a beginner, whatever you want to call it, and I did state this on the review. But for a beginner I think this amp sounds pretty good through a half-decent pedal, and I also believe that it sounds as good as, and is louder, than my band-mate's more expensive fender amp.
    paulbatty
    bollocks to all of you the amps shit just like the mg's which are even worse
    rivet2020
    I got one of these in almost as new condition for 40 used. Lets get some perspective. It's better than my old MG15 but no where near as good as my mates Mesa Boogie or Fender twin (rich bastards). But, these G80's can be found very cheap second hand and for a beginner it's a good step up from the little 10 or 15 watt bedroom amp. Add a couple of decent pedals and you're probably gonna be ok for a year whilst you save for the real deal.
    CaptnWar
    I paid a buddy about $40 for a G30RCD. I know it's not a "good" amp, but it's something to plug into. Just one complaint... where's the mid knob? I've got bass and treble, but no mids. Isn't the guitar a mid range instrument?
    the_random_hero
    This is a horrible amp, but it is better than the MG's. Anybody that thinks an amazing metal tone comes from a 'death metal distortion pedal' needs shooting.