Haze 40 review by Marshall

Marshall: Haze 40

Purchased from: Grapevine, TX

Hmmm, the flavor this amp has to offer is uber warm! This is one of the warmest amps I've ever played through. The first thing I played when I was trying it out was Andy Timmons "Super 70's" and this amp nailed it! Plug and play! The clean channel is like DSL clean but warmer with tons of headroom, hit the boost button and this thing turns into a Bluesbreaker! Man I was going from Hendrix to SRV in this setting and any snarling blues lead in between LOVE IT, CRANK IT UP! The bright button is not suited for this channel though, too much icepick! The overdrive channel needs the bright button engaged in my opinion because of the warmness.Boost out this will nail harder blues/rock like ZZ top AC/DC, boost button in this baby lights up especially when you crank it! Like I said earlier it is warm like a Marshall JMP on steroids! Timmons has gotta try this one out haha! This amp does ok at lower volumes for practice as well. The gain can cover up to 80's metal but will not crossover to the modern metal scene without help, any metal pedal or even a good boost will push it over though. Cutting through the mix just turn up the presence. I love the tone, however I have to rate the total package though the effects onboard sound fine, they just suck tone so I will give the total package a 7 but minus the effects a 10! Why did they even put that thing on there?

I play mostly original blues/ jazz/ rock but also cover Metallica to Maiden, SRV to Hendix and anything in between really! This amp really covers my mid wattage needs very well, sounds Killer on my 212 and mics up well. For those of you who are wanting Marshall performance with a modern twist give this a shot! Five words of advice though, you gotta crank it up, to fully experience what this amp has to offer! It will chew up and spit out any Line 6, just don't use the effects thingy. I would replace if it were stolen and I would sell a Line 6 to the pawn shop to get one!

Haven't had this for a week yet but my other Marshall has been in my posession for 2 years with no worries. I've cranked both amps to the maximum ( you gotta do it at least once, you haven't until then!) until the actual studs in my walls are rattling and nothing broke or quit or anything like that! All still great! Marhall's rule, don't get me wrong an Mesa or a Fender silverface or blackface kills also!

Marshall's modern breakout with old school tone and presence! This box of rock ain't no MG or Valvestate! It is the real deal Marshall all valve screamin' like a demon Marshall we all know and love! This amp is equipped with 2 channels that cascade in gain stages (via boost button) similar to my JCM 2000 DSL. Comes with a pedal for switching channels and turning effects on and off, however there is and upgrade pedal for $69 that will control all of the switching on the panel. It is also equipped with an emulated line out for recording, 16 ohm out for stock 66w Celestion Marquee, 8 ohm out for your cab of choice, and an effects loop. On the business end there is clean channel with one volume knob (that's it! what else you need?) a boost and a bright button.The bright button serves both channels. Overdrive with gain and volume knobs and a boost and channel Switch button. The full tone stack includes presence. The all digi effect section has a reverb knob, effect depth knob and an adjust knob. The effects section is true bypass when disengaged. The one thing I don't like about the built in effects is when you engage it there is a loss of tone, tonesucker circuit is what I call it! It comes with delay, chorus and vibe. I tend to not use this section and use my pedal board instead, accept when I am too lazy to set everything up haha! AS FOR THE POOWWEERR, it is very loud, loud enough to piss the wife off loud, but still neighbor friendly! Hey it is a 112 40w all tube Marshall it's gonna scream but will not sterilize the wild life within a 100 yard radius like my 100 watter! Perfect for the club gig, any outdoor venue or large hall I would mic into a PA though! This gets a 7 because the tonesucker circuit is good, it may not bother most but being the tone junkie it bothers me. So I just use the amp without this feature!

rohitfenderlove
    karen147
    I do know who Ravi Shankar is, and loved his music. his daughter Anoushka is also an excellent artist. Sorry someone made disparaging remarks about India and its people..
    tmr7350
    this amp is great. I've had it for about a month, and it has great tone. Perfect for blues/funk/rock.
    ne14t
    rohitfenderlove wrote: jtbull wrote: personally i dont get the kind of money marshall is charing for an amp made in india? does anyone even know who elvis is there? i know about cheap labor and all, but i would take a korean blackstar anyday Typical west-world arrogance. I'm from India and I can assure you that the country has a VERY active music circuit in spite the fact that rock music here isn't as mainstream it is in the USA. We know our heroes and we know our music as much you guys do. So yeah, I'm guessing we DO know who Elvis is. But I can assure you that MOST of you have no idea who Ravi Shankar is. FYI he's an INDIAN who played at the 69 Woodstock.
    Ravi Shankar also worked quite a bit with the Beatles playing sitar in there music, Across the Universe is a good example. I have the head/cab version of this amp it was made in India as well and its a solid piece of equipment. Though I have heard the combo amps suffer from rattling often.
    Gentillekes
    Great amp with a very distinctive sound, however it suffers reliability issies, the digital effects caused a loud hiss and it hisses ever since. The hiss is now loud enough to be disturbing - even without digital effects switched off. Guess I'll have to trade it for another amp, I highly doubt I will find such a good sounding amp for the amount of money I have paid (499 euros).
    Reinaldoda
    jtbull wrote: personally i dont get the kind of money marshall is charing for an amp made in india? does anyone even know who elvis is there? i know about cheap labor and all, but i would take a korean blackstar anyday I guess you are suffering for having almost 90% of all your goods made in China..
    summerbird
    Have had this amp for two years. No problems so far with reliability or inherent defects. I like the sound of the amp, it is warm, but can cut. I really love how it sounds with my strat, can get some beautiful blues tone, and it is versatile, it works great for classic rock gigging, which is primarily what I need it for. My only complaint is that I have the 4 button footswitch, and the Boost button on the footswitch only boosts the overdrive channel, but not the normal (clean)channel. This is a major concern for me, as my gigging repertoire is diverse. Overall I am very happy with this amp...and no more lugging stacks around!
    yojimbo9999
    I've had a haze 40 since they were released. No issues with reliability. I don't think you can really compare an all tube amp to a marshall valvestate, as they're both completely diff animals (i had a valvestate and sold it). This is a good little amp with surprising power and headroom, especially on the clean channel. The dirty channel is great, but unless you're putting a heavy pedal in front of it, its only suited for classic rock or blues. But for those styles of music, this little amp rocks, and is solidly built - regardless of misconceptions some may have on where its built. I've had Zero issues with it.
    MadDOG4780
    This amp isn't made in India it's made in the U.K. I agree with youjimbo9999 I've had no issues with it what so ever. It's a bloody good amp and plenty loud.
    guitargeant
    @ nitroguitarist Nothing wrong with valvestates I've experienced both and when it comes to pure presence and overall tonal depth, all valve (tube) amps rule! More articulate and richer in texture at the same time! My tube amps will destroy any no tube amp everytime.... haven't lost a shoot out yet! What kinda live rig you run?
    jtbull