Haze 40 review by Marshall

Marshall: Haze 40

Price paid: € 599

Dual channel 40 watts tube combo with digital effects (chorus, delay, tremolo). Volume, master, Treble, middle, bass and presence. Bright switch on the clean channel. Boost function on both channels. Effects loop and possibility for external cab. It has a 12" Celestion G12-66 Marquee on board and a 2 way footswitch. 4-way footswitch optional (boost, reverb, channel, effects). Weighs about 42 lbs which means it is not too heavy to carry around. The size is okay to carry it in both arms. It has all features you need in a tube amp... and more (effects).

I play styles like p-funk, blues, crossover, rock etc. It does a very well job on all of these. The clean channel is very nice although I hardly use it. I use the drive channel. It has quite little sustain to it so I use effects like Tubescreamer and distortion to pump it up a bit. They sound perfect on the drive channel but not on the clean channel. I don't really care for the on board effect except fot the reverb. They are okay though in a live setting. I swapped the speaker for a Celestion Vintage 30 which makes a minor difference (smoother). The stock speaker is okay either and has a little more bite to it.

The effects are okay but don't work smooth on the footswitch (delay and "pops"). I don't use them so I don't really bother, but it is not 10 points worthy. Tollex is nice. Grillcloth is nice. Knobs feel good enough although it's not Vox feel. The rest of the amp does it's job. It is as reliable al a tube amp can be I guess. The tubes haven't given me any problems so far. The amp in totality hasn't given me any trouble in the 2 years I use it. I mainly use it on live shows. It's pretty loud at home.

Nice little tube amp. Carriable, nice looks. Plenty volume on small stage, but you can mic it on bigger stages. Okay for anything but high gain sounds without pedals. It's a bit of the reincarnation of the first edition of the JCM800 4010 I used to own. It is better than the second edition 4010. Advantage of this amp is the dual channel possibility. If it was stolen I would buy it again. Even if I could find a first edition JCM 800 4010 I would chose this one over it (versatility and better looks).