JCM2000 DSL100 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL100

Purchased from: GuitarWorks

I'm currently using a Gibson sg 61 re-issue. And I just don't want to stop playing. The sound it gives is amazing, it's the reason why I play. I play usually Metal and Punk, and the sound it gives is perfect. This amp can give quite a bit of feedback, but there is solutions. I like to put the gain to around 8-10. Doing this gives me tons of noise. I use a Boss NS-1 to get rid of the feedback, but the amp still makes a buzzing sound. I can deal with that though. If you don't turn your gain high up like me, this probably won't be as much of an issue for you. This amp can give you Rise Against punk, to a very unique metal sound, to ACDC. And the Clean channel is very well done. I must admit, the clean channel on the DSL 100 suprised me. It's so warm and you can add gain if you want it to be heavier, or take it off to give you the sound you expect from a Marshall. I've put my clean channel on 5-6 witch is real loud, and I was getting a great sound out of it. This amp was ment to go loud, and it sounds great loud on any channel. The distortion on this amp is great. I personally like to use a Ibanez Tubescreamer just to give it an extra punch. It really brings out the great sound.

Between punk/metal, this amp is my kind of amp. I've been playing close to 2 years now. I own a TSL 60, along with my SG, tubescreamer, and Boss NS-1. I already knew quite well about this amp before I bought it, so no questions were needed. If this got stolen, I would probably buy another one depending on how my band starts to sound. Otherwise I might look into Madison Amps. I love everything about this amp. The sound, the look, and it's Marshall. what's not to love?

I can depend on this amp very easily. The only issue I would have with it, which is with every single tube amp. Is the tubes dieing. But that can be easily replaced. I've played with this without a backup easily. I've let another band use it for there set too, and it didn't show any signs of stopping. And of course you want to be careful with the amp. It's pretty sturdy. But I can see how it can get damaged easily if droped.

I believe my DSL 100 was made in 2007. I'm currently in a metalcore band. And don't get me wrong, this amp is actually very great for the sound I want. I play punk as well time to time and this amp meets the is expectations. This amp Has 2 channels. Clean and a distorted channel. And of course there is no headphone jack. It's called a The DSL 100 for a reason. This amp has everything I need. It has the basic gain and volume, with bass, mid, trebble, and presence. It also has Reverb, but I switch those to 0 because I don't need it. I use this amp to play shows, and for band practice of course. Usually when my band plays at practice I set it to 4-5 no louder though. Because that would be ridiculous. This amp has more then enough power to play shows, so it's perfect. This amp has 4 power tubes and 4 pre amp tubes. it's just basicly a very powerful head.

Nineball909
    I don't think the first review is valid since he had already changed the tubes and us using his new tube sound to review on, not the original tubes.
    Seanold
    I was wondering if this amp would be good for power metal/symphonic metal type tones or should i go for something more like a mesa boogie dual rectifier?
    Geeeeezer
    Just got a second hand one yesterday. I loove the sound of it. I play mostly indie brit rock but kinda stray into heavier stuff too and its perfect for that with my Gibson studio. The Ultra gain channel is suited to anything from quite a crisp lead at 12 o'clock to screaming metal all the way round. But my favorite feature is the crunch on channel A as it suites my style perfectly. It means I can have my crunch indie tone and switch channels for solos for the perfect solo sound. Basically, this is the first minute I have stopped playing it. I want to go and play it more.
    guitargeant
    I bought it cuz when I want clean with a ton of headroom this amps got it, when I want to rock its got it . If you tweek tone knobs right you can run next to a mesa!
    oh_angel
    i have 2!!!! i was cosidering trading one in for a 6505 but nothing is gonna sound like my marshalls! so i decided to keep them. i DO not recomend the TSL! i have played three and owned 2 and they all had problems.