JCM2000 DSL100 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL100

Purchased from: Music Power

I'm using a Les Paul Studio, with Gibson BurstBucker Pro's in the neck and bridge position. Being a person primarily interested in Classic Rock, Pop Punk, and Alternative rock, this amp suits my needs very well. The amp is quite quiet with the master volume turned up, no humming etc. The DSL 100 is capable of going from Bright chimy cleans, to deeper richer cleans, on the clean channel, depending on EQ setup - If you push the volume or gain up above 7-8 or so you will see it start to get a little bit breakup. With the crunch channel, You can go from bluesy tones, to Classic Rock, to Crunchy pop punk tones. Switching over to the Ultra gain channel OD1 is virtually a boosted High gain version of the Crunch channel. OD2 is its own heavier distortion, which would suit the needs of those playing some of the Classic Metal riffs. This amplifier is great in covering the more classic Marshall range of sound. What it will not suit, is those looking for a modern High gain amplifier. It has a very gritty over-Drive and British tone to it. Smooth Modern High gain styles aren't achievable with this amp.

As previously stated, as a Classic Rock, Alt Rock, Pop Punk guitarist, I find that this amplifier suits my needs perfectly. I've played for about five years, and this has become my main amp, though I also own a Vox AD15VT, and an Orange Dual Terror. I do dislike that the EQ is shared, and that you can only choose between Ultra gain, or classic Gain with the footswitch. This is negated by the fact that I can simply roll off the Volume on my Les Paul for a good clean sound while on the Crunch channel. I absolutely Love the tone, It has that Marshall Roar and punch once you push it that is sought after. My other consideration at the time was a RockerVerb 50, which is an astounding amplifier. From a cost benefit perspective, the DSL 100 was entirely unbeatable between the two. If it were stolen, I would replace it. Simply because it sounds beautiful, and doesn't break the wallet.

Reliability wise, I have had no issues with this amplifier. It does run hot, though I have never seen issues caused by the heat. Since it is a tube amp, it does require extra up keep in the form of Tube changes and a Bias once every couple of years. I do not bring a backup when I gig - Just spare fuses. I've yet to have a fuse blow after several shows, and several months of practicing twice a weak at high volumes 2 hours a day, Master set to 4, or 5, gain set to 6 or so.

The Amp i own is a 2009 model, as of 2010 these amplifiers are now discontinued. This is a 100 Watt Marshall, All tube head. The amp's EQ features a "Deep button" which will emphasize the lower frequencies for a much fuller bass, a 4 band Shared EQ consisting of Presence, Bass, Mid, and Treble, and "tone shift" which will scoop the mids for you, emphasizing lead tones. There are two channels: Ultra gain, and Classic gain, as well as two modes for each of these channels, Overdrive one and Two on the Ultra gain, and Clean/Crunch on the Classic gain. The amp also features footswitchable spring reverb. This amp is used primarily as a Practice amp in a Rehearsal studio, as well as for gigs.

Megadeaf
    If someone stole this from me, I'd stuff this thing's tubes up their ass! Tried one out a while ago, and i'm picking one up soon. Love it's sound so far!
    LindeII
    @seanold yeah this amp is perfect for symphonic/power metal as I use it in a Nightwish cover band
    Mazz211
    I'm wondering if god of gnar knows what he's on about, the 2000 isn't discontinued.... :S
    Pencil Man
    I just got this amp, and I have to say that it is a lot more versatile than even my 50 watt JCM 800.