JCM2000 DSL100 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL100

Purchased from: friend

I am using a Epiphone G-400 with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge. It works well with the style of music I am doing (Mastadon/Valiant Thor/ASG). I haven't noticed any unnecessary noise coming from it which is a plus. The cleans are not bad, but the Classic Crunch and Ultra Gain settings are pretty good. This amp will do most styles, but may need a boost to reach some types of gain. I actually like the tone of this amp it is deff a good Marshall distortion.

I think this is a good amp and will work for most people looking for that "British" style gain. I wouldn't recommend it for modern metal that much, but it can get the job done. I have been playing for 18 yrs and this is the first Marshall I have ever bought. I doubt I would replace it unless I could get another one for the same price (which would be kinda hard). I did not compare it to any other amps when I bought it. I bought it because of the price to flip it, but I think I'm gonna keep this one. I also have a Krank 1980 that I love, but the DSL is still a good amp in its own right. I wish it had independent EQ's but it will work fine for most people the way it is.

Well it is a Marshall and they seem to be a reliable amp company. The amp is solidly built, and weighs 50+lbs, so it is not exactly light. I would not hesitate to gig or tour with this amp with out a back-up, which is more than I can say about other amps I have played in the past. The amp has never broke down on the previous owner, so I would say it is reliable.

I believe it is a 2003 model. Two channels with two modes for each channel. It has reverb for each Channel and a global presence knob. You can switch between the two channels and reverb with the foot switch. It has a deep switch and a tone shift switch that give even more flexibility. It also has an FX loop. The biggest issue I have with it is the fact that both channels share the same EQ. I play in a Progressive Rock/Metal band and this amp works just fine. It is plenty loud and has a pretty good tone for what I am doing.