JCM2000 DSL401 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL401

Purchased from: GAK

I use this amp with a single coiled guitar [Godin Radiator] and a emg 81 active pup guitar [Jackson KE1]. With the single coiled I get a mid heavy sound which was what I'm after as I play a lot of chilis and punk stuff, but If I want to play metal I use the Jackson as the pick ups get a razor sharp sound from the amp. Their is a slight hum from the actives which is to be expected as of high output. This amps can handle anything you throw at it, blues, hard rock, metal you name it. As of every valve/tube amp it sounds and plays best at high volumes, the clean [if you want] can develope a beautiful tweed sound which is better that a crystal clean sound, but it also can do crystal clear cleans. The distortion is nice a warm, crunchy and responsive tone with clarity as with a lot of tube amps.

This amp suits me too the ground and for the price it made everything better, If this amp was stolen I difinally would buy it again. The only other amp I compare it to was the Laney VC30 212 and this won because it was more of a high gain amp, I'm gonna buy a 2x12 cab to maximise it's quality and loudness. the only thing I wish it had was a gain control for the boost channel but it's nothing to dock marks for.

Well I have not yet gigged it, but I have it at high volumes for practise. I believe this amp could do a gig without a backup (I don't use a back-up either way). The amp is too new to judge on reliability. But I believe it will hold up for a few years to come.

The Marshall Dsl401 was made in 2006. This amp feature 2 channels with a gain boost for the break away solos/lead, seperate gain, treble, mids and bass for each channel. It also has reverb which is nothing special these days on a amp but it's nice. It has a fx loop which I don't use. This amp is powered by 2 ECC83 preamp valves, and 4 EL84 output valves, this puts out a warm rock sound and smoothe cleans. For a 40watt amp it's plenty loud for gigs, Practise and studio Work

Tyler
    i think marshall amps arn't that amazing- even the dsl and tsl. I think i'll stick with peavey I'm not sure about the dsl and tsl models but i have a jcm 900 and i love it.
    gibsonplyer
    1. It has a clean channel and an overdrive channel with 2 levels. 2. If any company in all of guitardom is over-rated its Fender. I would say the exact opposite of your post from the Fender's I've heard. I'd take a Les Paul and a Marshall over anything that Fender makes.
    Abnormal_Omish
    alienboy18241
    OK, of the 3 reviews, only 1 is on the actual product. This is the DSL as in two channels.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    i think that marshalls are good but overrated fender amps are way betetr. they offer so much more without effects. marshall amps sounda little too thin and too trebly but fenders cxan have a thick sound and a thin sound w/e u want.
    gutfeeling666
    Damn this is good! I plugged into my 2 Marshall Cabs and BOOM!! Man if ya wanna Rock, Get this piece of Kit.
    High_o
    if you actually bothered to read it you would know that the DSL "401" has 2 real channels and one sorta channel that is just the OD 1 channel with a 20 dB gain boost
    Chad11491
    they're good but line 6 is two million times better
    that has to be a joke, marshall blows line 6 out of the water, although i think marshall's overrated and over priced, wish i had one though, lol