JCM2000 DSL401 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL401

Purchased from: MB music Ltd

I play mainly classic rock (AC/DC, Thin Lizzy etc) but like to play around with the other tones this amp can give out. Set low gain on clean channel and turn up the volume and Angus clean crunch is there, or turn up gain on OD1 channel and turn volume down to a suitable level with the master volume and a very close proximation to angus's sound is there as well. Clean channel with my 12 string and Hotel California, Stairway all sound bright and melodic. Haven't really found a use for OD2.

As a late starter (40 something) I bought this as I was looking for an upgrade to a MG15DFX that was my first amp, and though I did look at other makes of tube amp, in the end the deal of 389 inc delivery and the fact that as someone once said the wall behind the great artists doesn't say Fender it screams Marshall did sway me.

Brand new and came with 3 year extended warranty from Marshall, so things should be ok. It is built solidly and is fairly heavy.

Purchased brand new 4 weeks ago. This amp is as described previously all tube 2.5 channel (1 clean 1 overdrive plus switchable OD2 20db gain). Channels are footswitchable. Built in spring reverb that can also be footswitched but switch is an optional extra, why they couldnt make a 3 way footswitch is beyond me. This amp does exactly what you expect from a Marshall tube amp, Has a pretty nice clean channel that sounds very warm through the neck pickup of my Gibson SG Standard or very clean and bright through my Sg copy double neck 12/6 string in 12 string mode. Overdrive is what made me buy this amp clasic Marshall crunch. Effects loop has it's own mix control and reverb is controllable from hardly there to cave like. One thing this could do with is a headphone socket as it is a practice amp.

Ticks & Leeches
    gibsonplayer: 2. If any company in all of guitardom is over-rated its Fender. I would say the exact opposite of your post from the Fender's I've heard. I'd take a Les Paul and a Marshall over anything that Fender makes.
    you can tell this guy has never played a Strat thru a fender twin!
    guitarist_with_
    Im about to buy a DSL. I spent a day trying out Fenders, Randalls, Line 6 and Marshalls. ^ You are right. Fenders, to some extent, blow serious ass. The real deal are Marshall, Randall and Soldano though im not a big fan of Mesa - great amps though.
    powerlord
    I've played everything through every fender almost,can we say suckage,Fender falls out of my ass at least 2 times a day!Marshall,Mesa,Randall ,Soldano are the real deal!