JCM2000 DSL401 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL401

Price paid: € 390

Purchased from: Private Seller

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with this, suit's perfectly, hard rock 'n roll, in your face, classic Marshall sound. Not noisy except when a Tv nearby is on. Clean channel is nice actuly, not as nice as my Fender but none the less quite good. Overdrive is just in your face, raw rock tone, can't beat it. I do mostly ACDC, Cult, Guns N Roses, Zeppelin, Lizzy, U2 stuff with this and suit's perfectly, also loud enough to be heard miles away! Only 40 watts but it's still insanely loud.Love when the clean channel starts getting overdriven.

As I said I play classic rock and hard rock n' roll and it's a perfect match with my les paul, I hope to had another soon too. I'm playing nearly 5 years. This amp is great with the band and will also gig it. The guy I bought it from didn't have a footswitch but I don't really need one tbh. If it were stolen I would hit the guy who stole it with my les paul in the face, that should sort it out. I love the raw Vintage tone, overdrive with face melting capability's and the only bad thing is that I don't have a footswitch! it's about x10 million times better than my solid state Fender frontman 2x12, You really can't beat tube, specially when it's a real Marshall JCM at a bargain price! Love this amp.

Had it about a month, so far no problems, considering it's 9 years old, only new valves so sounds fresh. Hope I don't have any problems in the future. The tubes should last maybe for the net 2 years or so and shouldn't cost to much being EL84's. It's a Marshall so I don't expect any major problems but if I do come across something bad well I'll get it fixed asap to make sure I have it back to be able to play it Haha.

Has 3 channels, Clean, OD1 and OD2 which are all foot switchable. Made in 2000 (I think). I Only really tend to play classic rock and hard rock n'roll but this amp will handle things like Iron Maiden. Has an effects loop, an input for the channel footswitch and even an input for a reverb footswitch. Both channel's have: Gain, Treble, Middle and Bass but the Overdrive also has a channel volume knob, Then on the master side there is an Fx loop volume control, reverb level and master volume. All tube! 4 EL84's which were replaced before I got this amp 2nd hand. Mint condition.

Scandaloz
    Ticks & Leeches wrote: gibsonplayer: 2. If any company in all of guitardom is over-rated its Fender. I would say the exact opposite of your post from the Fender's I've heard. I'd take a Les Paul and a Marshall over anything that Fender makes. you can tell this guy has never played a Strat thru a fender twin!
    Many Marshalls are F'ing GREAT. The DSL 401, 601 , Handwired Heads like the Plexi re issue and the Bluesbreaker, also the 12 watt handwired amps are Killer.That being said those that say Fenders are hopeless have a listen to the cleans of a Deluxe Reverb, or any sound from a Tone King or a Pro Sonic, and then tell me there is a Marshall that can do that.There isnt. Marshalls have a particular burnished Bronze killer sound when the wick is turned UP.For distortion sounds, the Volume and master knobs shouldn't have any numbers below 8. My amps: Hughes & Kettner Pure Tone Head. (DEADLY !) MI Audio Revelation.(The MI is a 4 Ch.amp & needs no OD or Dist it does it all). Ulbrick Arena Combo (THE Amp for effects) Fender Blues Deluxe (US). Fender 30 with EVM12L. Rivera 55. Rivera Suprema.(Ninja Boost, I am Samurai!) THD Univalve. THD Bivalve (Astonishing) Genz Benz Black Pearl. Roland Micro Cube. Ampeg Jet 12 II. Guitars: Ernie Ball Sillhouette (2) Kinman Blueprints (2..Na Na!) Fender SRV Stratocaster. Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster (AAA woods) Hancock Tamworth Jazz box. Music Man EVH. Cole Clark Mistress Hole. G&L Legacy (US). Jim Williams 00 acoustic. Garrison Acoustic. Music Man Bass. Effects: foxRox ZIM,Fulltones,MI Audio, Boss,Tech 21,Carl Martin..the list goes on)