JCM2000 DSL50 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL50

Purchased from: A Breaking up band

I mainly play two guitars through this amplifier. A 2001 Gibson SG and a 2002 Epiphone Les Paul Custom. My SG has stock Gibson pickups and my Epipone LP Custom has a Gibson Burstbucker installed. I use a Sennheiser EW-172 Wireless in my rack and run that through a Korg DTR1000 and a DOD noise gate. The wireless takes some tone from this amp. I still haven't figured out a way to not sacrifice tone. This amp does hiss at high volumes. The clean channel doesn't distort for me at all and that's a huge plus, especially when playing clean melodies and competing with a Mesa Triple Rectifier. Because of my wireless situation, I can't say that my distortion is "brutal", but I am happy with my tone. I am considering purchasing a sonic maximizer and a better noise gate to aid in bringing this amps best out.

I wish before I had bought it that I would've scoped out the TSL series more. If this amp was stolen or broken, I would probably buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier or a Marshall TSL-100. I hate this amps hiss in higher distortion volumes. I wish it had a third channel!

I can depend on my amplifier. I never doubt this amps reliability. But, it spends a lot of time being bounced around a trailer and a van, so I did have a custom made road case built, plus it looks pretty cool as well as being protected. For the most part being a touring musician, I have no choice to gig without a backup. I've owned this amp for 2 years and I've never had a problem with it to date. The tubes are in need of replacing soon, but only because I want to bring it to it's best potential.

My amp was made in late 2004/Early 2005. I play lead guitar in a pop-punk/post-hardcore band (myspace.com/builtforburning) and I'd say that this amp's tone is pretty versatile for the most part. It is a tube amp. This amp has two channels. Classic and Ultra. Classic is your basic Marshall clean tone. It also offers a "crunch" switch. I don't use that option much, but I really like the clean tone. The Ultra offers a tone shift and a deep Switch. I keep the tone shift off and I keep the deep Switch on. The only thing I wish I would've done was buy a TSL-100. My other guitarist uses a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and sometimes he overpowers me. I also miss the versatility of having a third channel. This is my workhorse. This amp is my practice amp and gigging amp. I've had a custom made road case built for it with a 7 space rack. The only reason I purchased this amp was because it was a very good deal. Otherwise, I would've purchased the Marshall JCM2000 TSL-100. I am happy with my decision to purchase this amp though.

Dweller_26
    Lumpelope wrote: Why did you review this amp? Basically you said this amp was good for giving volume to you effects. That's ridiculous. You contradict yourself and say completely irrational and irrelevant statements multiple times. Please someone competent review this amp for me. I am really interested in it and this guy is completely useless. Thanks.
    Get off your ass and go and try one instead of bitching about someones review. If you want to be so picky then sort your English out. volume to you effects??? and you dont say a statement, you make a statement.
    Huffman
    i wish i had 1000$$ .. but i dont... i wondder what a good all tube amp 4 under $500 would be.. any one know pm me