JCM2000 DSL50 review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 DSL50

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I Use my Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster with this amp, the clean mode is a little fat and I often use the bridge pickup here, this mode has headroom although Clean can hardly push gigging volume. I find the amps Crunch Mode is perfect for all aspects of funk and blues, I often use this mode to play Red Hot Chilli Peppers and with a little more gain it can also acheive classic rock tones sutiable for The Beatles. The Ultra Gain channel has a huge amount of gain and can play most kinds of metal, but at the same time can be toned down to acheive great rock tones, Lead 1 is more suited to ACDC and perhaps Rush, Lead 2 is great for thrash tones as well as modern metal tones, I found Lead 2 Mode needs to be cranked to achieve a clear sound as it seems to have more gain than it can handle and at lower volumes is a little muddy.

Playing in a rock band this amp is perfect, Lead 1 offers a great tone for my music, where Lead 2 is good for the heavier stuff I like to play at home, I've been playing a couple of years and this amp was a massive improvement on my Fender frontman. I searched for the right amp for months and the sound I get from my DSL is just right. The only problem with it is the practicality of a half stack, I use a 960A cab with it and I am getting tired of dragging it around, I'd suggest to anyone considering a Marshall Head to buy a 2 X 12 Cab as it would be more than enough, I hope this review was helpful.

I've had the amp 6 months and there have been no problems, I often gig with it and even after being in standby mode for hours on end the tubes will withstand. Replacement Tubes are not to expensive and I will consider changing them before the year is over just to keep the amp sounding as good as new. The amp has a firm structure and has not taken damage, the tubes will rattle away but never crack.

The DSL's has 2 Channels, Classic Gain with modes Clean and Crunch. And Ultra Gain with modes Lead 1 and Lead 2. The Amps has a master 3 band equalization which is very effective, the amps reverb feature can be controlled over each channel and at low levels sounds preety great. The 50 watt valve amp, has 4 ECC83 in its pre amp section, and 2 EL34 in its power amp section, there are 3 cabinet outputs (1 for 16 ohms and another 2 for 4 or 8 ohms impedence) Like most tube amps the DSL 50 has a standby and a main on an off Switch, standby is useful to keep the tubes warm before a performance.

Helpy Helperton
    couldn't help but notice the top reviewer put Aerosmith in the genre Hard Rock, just made me lol a bit. Aerosmith I class more like ballad rock ir girlie rock, amp sounds like a winner for classic stuff though.
    hoondog
    Rebel-666
    hoondog wrote: fenderplaya015 wrote: couldn't help but notice the reason you don't like marshalls. its not that marshall is making their sound like those guitarists. those guitarists USE MARSHALLS! the guy also puts a metal zone in front of his 2000, so we probly shouldnt take his advice too seriously on things....
    hey man i use a metal zone on in my rig mainly because my amp has no distrtion of itself what so ever its an old solid state late 60's kustom 120 stack
    gwitersnamps
    Does anybody know why this got discontinued? The only reason I've heard is that the JVM came out. Why can't they keep the JCM line, though?
    josey wales
    this amp can do it all, been playing it for a year now no problems at all.goes from srv to metallica.only knock on this amp is it can be high on the treble side .easy fix 10 band eq and add some jj tubes what a sound as for the metal zone pedal , are you crazy just use the amps distortion and a mxr zack wylde overdrive pedal sheer bliss.
    tom_martin_123
    ih8marshalls wrote: i own one they sound like poop!my peavey absolutly blows it away
    Your name "ih8marshalls" suggests to me that you are slightly biased and also that you probably don't own this amp. Peavey classic can't hold shit to this amp.