JCM2000 TSL100 Head review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 TSL100 Head

Before I tell you the guitars I use, I must say that for the most part, if I am playing it, it has humbuckers of some sort in it. OK, I use a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a PRS Singlecut for the most part. The my Gibson SG. And the few times I need to play country, I use my Strat. Like I said, it's not a one trick pony. The only style I don't play through it is Metal but I have read that it can handle that as well. I read a reveiw on the TSL60 head and the guy said that compared to that, the TSL100 sucks because its to loud to get it to break up at high volumes. Well yes, 100 watts is loud. But what he failed to mention was the VPR switch where you can cut the watts down to get that breakup at a much lower volume. Not to mention that that 100 watts sure comes in handy when playing large clubs or more importantly, outdoors. This thing is loud as hell and with my JCM900 Lead1960 4x12, there is no noise to speak of. This amp is beautiful.

I have said a few times that it is not a one trick pony. I only mean that you can play a lot of different Marshall type tones out of it. I still have my ampeg V2 Ampeg Jets Mesa Boogie Nomad and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Blues Jr and Pro Jr. I will say this though. I use this amp the most for gigs. It never lets me down in any catagory. I could go on and on about this amp. Go try one out. You will want to take it home. The only thing that might stop you is the $1000.

What can I say. It has tubes. I gig plenty without a backup amp but never without backup tubes. A tube went out on me right after I got it but no problems since then in the 2 years I have owned it. Like I said, it's a tube amp and for the first 5 years, that will most likely be the only problems you will have.

This amp has everything I could ever need. My music is rock and blues and it covers both with ease. I even have to put down tracks on country songs sometimes and I can dial that in too. Any one that says it's a one trick pony is full of s--t. For clean tones I always used Fender but this amp does the job well too. It has a 3 channels. Clean, Crunch, and Lead. I like the Crunch and Lead channels alot but I must confess that I refer to my Ibanez TS-9 Modded Tubescreamer as the holy grail of pedals and use that most of the time. As far as features, I can't think of anything it doesn't have. Among many other features, it has a VPR switch which I explain later, 2 seperate effects loops and a line out for recording. I love to record one track with the line out and another, micing the amp and then adjust to my liking. The tubes (4x12AX7's and 4xEL34's) Marshall-Svetlana. I used those for a while and then put in some JJ's and it sounded even better. Hopefully, you already know that no solid state amp can even come close to the sweet sounds of a tube amp and this one is the king at my house.