JCM2000 TSL100 Head review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 TSL100 Head

Purchased from: E-bay

Playing this amp through my Ibanez SZ with Dimazio Drop Sonic pickups was absolutly amazing. The clean channel sounds so crystal clear with any type of EQ setting. This channel is very bright but just roll back the presence and treble knobs a little and it warms up nicely. This amp could be perfect for any style of music providing you don't mind "tweaking" the EQ a little. Go to the second mode of Channel one and it starts to crunch up a bit. it still has that same "clear" tone but with just a little bit of gain. Keep turning the gain knob and it really starts to sing. Perfect for all the old style rock like the Eagles and Bad Company. No saturation at all. Infact this mode with the gain fully cranked is very simalar to an early model JCM800. Now on to channel two (Lead Channel) and instantly there is a growl that can only be described as Brutal but beautiful. It really has that Marshall singing ability that all of the endorsed artists cream their daks about. With the gain about half way you start to get that modern rock style of distortion wich reminds me a lot of Sum 41. Even if ya don't like you have to say that their guitar tone is quite killer and it's all JCM2000. Crank the gain all the way and you have a really tight semi saturated tone which sound remarkably like As I Lay Dying or even Trivium. Going through some shred style runs was damn fun and this amp is very responsive, note articulation from chords to single notes is awsome. Pushing in the deep Switch gave the sound a huge kick in the ass but with this amp cranked to 9 or 10 it would be a little over kill unless you don't have a bass player. the scoop Switch didn't really interest me that much as I love my mids and Marshall is know for it's beautiful midrange tone. It's very Pantera/Fear Factory sounding with the sccop button in. But I started to sound like Wayne Static after 10 mins which started to put me off. Going on to the next mode 'Ultra Gain' and this beast really started to show it's brutality. You would never have any need to have this suckers gain on 10 as it is way too much gain. For my band I use this mode but only with the gain on about 6.5 to 7. The sustain that this amp can produce is noting short of breath taking. Pinch Harmonics screamed for days and the Natural Harmonics were so clear.

This amp is fantastic for all styles of music. For all the purists, you wouldn't even need to use the Lead channel as the two modes on channel one have enough gain and clearness to satisfy. For shredders this amp would be perfect as it has gobs of gain without sounding shrill or over saturated. For all you metal guys. Don't get a Mesa, Unless you are a millionare and like a real thuddy low end. This amp pisses all over them at a fraction of the price. I played through a mesa not long ago and didn't really enjoy it at all. This amp can match any of the high cost botique amps with out burning a hole in your pocket. The only thisg I would trade in for this DSL would be a TSL. Only to have that exra footswitchable channel.

I have gigged and practiced with this amp fully cranked at about 6-9 and It has never failed me. The only thing I have had to do since I've perchased it was put a new set of pre-amp tubes in as the last person who owned it fried them. After that it has just been terific. I couldn't ask for more.

This JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 100W head was released in 2004. As you all know Marshall is probably the flagship brand for guitar amplifacation, and this amp is the epitomy of versatility for the two channel range. I play a range of styles from death metal/hardcore with my band Nothing remains to improvising jazz/blues riffs and runs at home. I must say this amp is freakin loud. As I said before it is a two channel (4 mode) amp with one footswitch. These can either be just a channel switcher or you can add another with can Switch the reverb on and off aswell. It uses 4xEL34 tubes which is powered by 4xECC83 pre amp tubes. There are 2 modes per channel to play with depending on your style of music. Other features also include effects loop, deep switch (adds bass and ressanance), scoop switch (scoops out the Mids). Only dissapointment was not being able to switch between the modes or have a boost via a footswitch.

DaBlackE
    Marshall JCM 2000s kick ass. I dont own this model but I own the DSL 100 and I love it. The difference between this and DSL, obviously the 3rd channel, but also the TSL has seperate EQ for the channels and paralell FX loop. The DSL's FX loop is series and both channels work off the same EQ. Very important note about Marshall tube amps is DO NOT swap the power tubes without having it re-biased! If you dont know how to do that have it done by a pro, otherwise you could really **** the amp up. These amps do sound better then the JCM 900 series.