JCM2000 TSL60 Head review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 TSL60 Head

Purchased from: Ebay

I use a Fender American Deluxe H/S/S strat, and with the bridge I can get metal to classic rock to blues just by switching around the gain. The Lead channel is very very good, but it barely has enough gain for some metal, probably because the JJ's, but it's good enough. If I turn the gain to about 6, I can get the Vintage Marshall tones. The clean channel is very good. Through my strat I can get hendrix really good. It is kinda bluesy, so some people might not like it. The only channel I dont like is the crunch. It feels like a washed down version of the Lead, and is nowhere near as sharp, but I can get clapton tones with it through my strat. Overall, the amp is alittle noisy, but I dont have a problem with it. The thing is that this amp is kind of good at every genre, but is not a master of any. Also, the reverb rocks.

This amp is a really balanced amp. It can handle all the tones you want really well, but if you really are just going for brutal distortion, look somewhere else. If you want the 'actual' Vintage Marshall roar, get a Vintage amp. Just remember that this amp compromises versatility for quality.

As for reliability, it never broke on me. I would gig without a backup because it is reliable.

I think this amp was made around 2001, but was still in great shape except for the tubes when I got it. This amp is very versitile. It can handle most genres with its 3 channels. I think it has 2 effects loops. I use the lead and clean channel the most, because the crunch isn't really that great. I don't know how this amp sounds with stock svetlanas, because I have JJ E34l's and JJ E83303 I think in there. Anyways this amp is loud! Don't underestimate 60 watts of tube power.

cerveza
    i went into the store an played one of these, but i ended up buying a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier
    shredder_666
    This amp has amazing tone. I had the chance to play with this head once through a 1936 Cab, and the tone quality for the lead channel was un****ingbelievable, i would by one but im going for the JVM410, nevertheless, this amp is great.
    trenchardc
    Csquared1001
    epiphone310 1. if you don't know the answer to that question then don't get a tube amp until you know what ur doing 2. no, the head is the AMPLIFIER which amplifies the singal of the pickups. It is the on that has the tube circuit and all that. The Speaker is what gives you the sound that comes from the amp. without it the amp is usless. Oh one important this NEVER NEVER NEVER RUN A AMPLIFIER HEAD WITHOUT A SPEAKER ATTACHED!
    epiphoneg310
    i know this sounds like a stupid question but do you have to buy a cab with heads or can you use the heads on their own
    tvkillsnathan
    i own a jcm 900. Which I believe is a pretacessor to the model. I have yet to encounter a marshall I didn't love. Marshalls and starts are a match made in heaven... or hell maybe. depending on your genre.
    bobman20
    i play lots of metal and will the TSL60 play good metal tones i have an ep lp
    Weybl Himself
    not a massive fan of the JCM200's, prefer the 800s and 900s. But it's all personal taste and they certainly aint awful.
    not2old2roc
    A head (tubes or no tubes) does not have speakers so it needs to be hooked up to a cabinet or other amp with speakers. The head is just the "guts"-electronics- of an amp setup. Get a combo amp if you want the "head" and speakers in one unit.
    shredder_666
    trenchardc : everyone i ask this always gives me wierd looks, but if I get a tsl60 head, why would i choose the 300w 1960a cab? it has more watts. what does this mean? is more necessarily better? and generally, is it a good cab/head combo. cheers Like i always say, more watts is not necessarily better, but it always feels good to know that you have it.