JCM2000 TSL60 Head review by Marshall

Marshall: JCM2000 TSL60 Head

Purchased from: Steve's

I use a PRS Santana SE with this, and a 150W 16ohm homemade cab with 2 celestion speakers. It sounds very nice. I play a sort of post 3rd wave ska core, so I need to have a lot of verstatility. I need to be able to run out a smooth dubsound and a heavier hardcore punk sound, and this does the trick. The distortion goes just short of being metal, which makes it perfect for punk, and with the deep Switch I can easily dial in some sick reggae/ska/dub clean. Honestly, the distortion could be better; it slightly lacks warmth, therefore I would not want to use it in a studio setting, but for Live it really cuts through the mix, better than a lot of amps that might sound a little warmer.

I love it. Perfect for anything that needs a smooth, deep clean, or anything rock based short of metal/numetal. It is a perfect match for those who play contemporary ska. I've been playing 5 yrs and this is really the amp for me. I would probably buy this amp again. I love the versatility, and the way that it cuts through the mix. I hate that the sound cuts out when you Switch between clean and distortion. I looove the deep switch. I was debating on whether to get the Peavey 5150 which was a little bit cheaper than this amp. I found that the Peavey was a little bit clunky sounding, and didn't have as nice of a clean as the TSL. Plus, the 5150 sounded best when it was very driven, whereas with this amp I could have optimal sound at slightly less driven.

Marshall's are known for reliability. I'm hoping that's true. I have a friend who uses this amp and he has been using his since the early '90s for gigging/touring/etc. and has never had a problem with it. I'm hoping mine will hold up the same. A few days ago, I had a little glitchwith it. the volume cut down to just a little more than nothing. I rotated the tubes, and all was well. I don't know, perhaps a little dust or something like that. Should hold up though.

Mine is either a 2006 or a 2007. You have probably already read the features so I'm not going to go too into details, but basically the 3 channels is really nice, the only feature I think that could be added is a separate EQ for the "crunch" channel. I don't like how it shares an eq with the lead channel. It is not ideal but it is workable (I think it has a separate eq on the 100W model) the 5 button footswitch is pretty nice, the wire seems cheaply made, but looks like it will last if you take care of it. One thing I don't like is that it cuts out when you switch between Clean and distorted channels. If I played in a 1 guitar band then this would be a huge issue for me. I like that the fx loop can be wired as a lead boost by just running a patch cord thru it and pressing the button to +4db. I use this amp to practice and power small halls. It is easily loud enough to do any room for up to 500ppl without PA support. The deep switch is amazing.

wyldeshredder
    shredder_666
    wyldeshredder : everyone i ask this always gives me wierd looks, but if I get a tsl60 head, why would i choose the 300w 1960a cab? it has more watts. what does this mean? is more necessarily better? and generally, is it a good cab/head combo. cheers and you cant get a 100 watt cab for this amp...tube amps need about 2-3 times as much power in the cabs as watts in the head.60x3=180 atleast,to be safewyldeshredder : everyone i ask this always gives me wierd looks, but if I get a tsl60 head, why would i choose the 300w 1960a cab? it has more watts. what does this mean? is more necessarily better? and generally, is it a good cab/head combo. cheers and you cant get a 100 watt cab for this amp...tube amps need about 2-3 times as much power in the cabs as watts in the head.60x3=180 atleast,to be safe True, but most guitar cabinets can handle anything you put on top of them. It is preferable to get a higher power handling amp for a tube because a 100watt tube will put out about an eqivelent of about a 300 watt solid-state, give or take a few watts, but i actually was working with DSL100 and JVM410 Tube heads and i stuck them onto the MG412s which handle 120watts, but they really worked fine...cranked and everything. A guitar fundamentalist would say NO! YOULL BREAK THE CABINET, but most people who come here are stupid teenagers and if you talk to older guitar experts, they will say what i will so...dont be afraid if you have an MG cabinet or something and want to throw a Tube head on it if you dont have the extra money, cuz they do work. Personally, i think that since it works so well, i dont see the point in spending $700 on 300watt handling cabs, im getting a JVM and im just going to throw it on top of my MG cabs. They work fine.
    samjackson1990
    just a quick quesiton but does this head have the ability to change the power, i.e from 60W to 20W ect. I've reado somehere they can, just wanting confrimation.